Paint colors, ANd mirror placement.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
ModelAAfreddie
Body Type: Flatbed
Model Year: 1928

Paint colors, ANd mirror placement.

Post by ModelAAfreddie »

Hi. Newbie here. I’m gene . Niles California. 1928 model. Flatbed. Long time listener, first time caller. ( old joke from mr obvious).
I have a couple questions.....
1: Paint colors....when restoring, is pAinting a color other than standard a big deduction?
Is there category or acceptance if truck is restor3d appropriate but not standard color?

2. Mirror placement....my truck has mirror drivers side, attached at hinge bottom of drivers door window level. I haven’t seen any pictures that match the location. The mirror is rectangular, which I’m sure isn’t correct, but wondering about the specific location.

I can’t figure out how to attach a photo...says file too large. Email or text I can send photo! 843-813-1883 Gene_underwood@hotmail.com
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Re: Paint colors, ANd mirror placement.

Post by KimVanOrder »

paint idea!! I have not tried it (yet). But why not go with original colors and then "jazz" it up with that new pint that you can peal off!?? Still stick with the 'original' and also have creative freedom...

My mirror is high on the left. Round... Check out some photos...
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

oh!! Reduce your photo's resolution... That makes it 'smaller'.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
If you are going to enter your truck into fine point judging you will get deductions for having a non factory paint color. I'm not aware of a class that specifically is for non standard paint colors.
In my opinion it's your truck and you can paint it what ever color that pleases you.

You will have to resize your picture to make it small enough to post.

Open your picture for editing. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager.
Click on "Edit Pictures"
Click on "Resize"
In the Predefined width x height box select "Web - Large"
Click “ok”

Then "Save As" in a different file for posting. If you just save it your original picture will be changed so be careful of that. Once made smaller you can’t go back bigger.
------------
Dave
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Welcome. This link will show you information on the mirrors.
https://aafords.com/aa-body-types/mirrors/
ModelAAfreddie
Body Type: Flatbed

Post by ModelAAfreddie »

Hi. I hav read tat site through Nd through. I’m still confused...I just don’t see a bracket and connection even with the bottom of the window.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Sounds like the mirror is most likely not original to the truck.
dlevy
Body Type: 82B

Post by dlevy »

RE: Paint Color Choice

The "Ford Model A Paint & Finish Guide" specifically states that large fleet buyers of commercial vehicles could have their trucks painted in their company's colors.

That could be interpreted as being able to paint your vehicle any color you want.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

ModelAAfreddie wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 11:37 am
Hi. Newbie here. I’m gene . Niles California. 1928 model. Flatbed. Long time listener, first time caller. ( old joke from mr obvious).
I have a couple questions.....
1: Paint colors....when restoring, is pAinting a color other than standard a big deduction?
Is there category or acceptance if truck is restor3d appropriate but not standard color?

2. Mirror placement....my truck has mirror drivers side, attached at hinge bottom of drivers door window level. I haven’t seen any pictures that match the location. The mirror is rectangular, which I’m sure isn’t correct, but wondering about the specific location.

I can’t figure out how to attach a photo...says file too large. Email or text I can send photo! 843-813-1883 Gene_underwood@hotmail.com
If you are building your AA to be judged or want to be Ford original, then you need to follow the RGJS (starting with the E supplement).

Paint - from page E-83:
At extra cost, fleet owners could have used any non-Ford color scheme. To use a non-Ford color scheme for judging (body and/or chassis), a variance must be submitted and approved by the appropriate Judging Standards Committee. This request is to include documentation (text and/or photographs) identifying the fleet owner and their paint scheme used during the AA production period. Any non-Ford color would have been a paint type and color available on the market at that time.

Mirror - Your mirror is not factory original. No hinge mounted mirror for 1928. Refer to Area E10 (page E-56):
Mirror would have been A-17727. Bracket would have been A-17737 d1 into early 1928 and A-17737 d2 early 1928 through March 1929. Also, refer to:

https://aafords.com/aa-body-types/mirrors/#pib
https://aafords.com/aa-body-types/mirrors/#a17737d1-2

If you are not planning on having your AA judged or not be Ford original, then you can do what you want.
Regards, Neil Wilson