Paint colors

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
ModelAAfreddie
Body Type: Flatbed
Model Year: 1928

Paint colors

Post by ModelAAfreddie »

Hello. I’m a newbie....long time listener, first time cLler.

I’ve been reading old posts, books, etc. it looks to me like COMMERCIAL GREY was only color for early 1928 model aa, then GUN METAL BLUE from mid 1928- and forward.
My truck is a 1928 model aa. 82A cab with Ford script platform bed.

Is commercial grey the correct color? And is there an example of that color anywhere to be seen?
I can not seem to find a single picture of that color.

Thanks in advance! Gene. Niles CA
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Paint colors

Post by Neil Wilson »

ModelAAfreddie wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 11:47 am
Hello. I’m a newbie....long time listener, first time cLler.

I’ve been reading old posts, books, etc. it looks to me like COMMERCIAL GREY was only color for early 1928 model aa, then GUN METAL BLUE from mid 1928- and forward.
My truck is a 1928 model aa. 82A cab with Ford script platform bed.

Is commercial grey the correct color? And is there an example of that color anywhere to be seen?
I can not seem to find a single picture of that color.

Thanks in advance! Gene. Niles CA
Despite the name, Commercial Gray was a dark green. I have not seen a paint chip for this color. Attached is a clip from the first Ford commercial ad booklet. If your AA is an August 1928 or prior, then it would have use the Commercial Gray color.

FYI - The 88-A platform with "Ford Truck" stamped on the back was used through mid-1928 (mid-year = May, June, July, August).
Attachments
Booklet #1 - er-28 page 3-crop1.jpg
Booklet #1 - er-28 page 3-crop1.jpg (456.99 KiB) Viewed 8043 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Rumbler
Body Type: 82-A Stakebed

Post by Rumbler »

As it turns out, MAFCA is in the finishing stages of publishing an updated paint color booklet. They are working on including the commercial grey color in the new edition. Not sure how soon it might be available but it sounds promising.

Regards,
Brian
Rumbler
Body Type: 82-A Stakebed

Post by Rumbler »

The new updated paint color booklet (4th Edition) is now available through MAFCA and it includes Commercial Grey!

I just received mine. The color swatches are also much larger for paint shops to reproduce.

cover.jpg
cover.jpg (100.91 KiB) Viewed 7379 times
Sample.jpg
Sample.jpg (18.55 KiB) Viewed 7379 times
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

There is a 3rd 1928 commercial color. It is L'Anse Green dark. The 2nd ed of Model A Ford Paint & Finish Guide lists this color as a 1929 color. This is incorrect. A July 11, 1928 Fargo letter lists L'Anse Green dark. This is definitely a commercial color and is listed in the Indianapolis letter of June 5, 1931 as such. A paint chip is provided in any of the Ford paint & Finish Guides. A copy of the documentation is being sent to Neil under separate cover. The model TT Ford of 1927 was painted Commercial green on the cab and body (not the hood). I suggest the 1928 Commercial Gray is pretty much a continuation of the previous color. It's hard to tell what a whole truck might look like from a paint chip. These trucks were not buffed out; they were satin finish except for the dipped parts. Sincerely, Ed Hayslip
Hayslip
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hayslip wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:08 am
There is a 3rd 1928 commercial color. It is L'Anse Green dark. The 2nd ed of Model A Ford Paint & Finish Guide lists this color as a 1929 color. This is incorrect. A July 11, 1928 Fargo letter lists L'Anse Green dark. This is definitely a commercial color and is listed in the Indianapolis letter of June 5, 1931 as such. A paint chip is provided in any of the Ford paint & Finish Guides. A copy of the documentation is being sent to Neil under separate cover. The model TT Ford of 1927 was painted Commercial green on the cab and body (not the hood). I suggest the 1928 Commercial Gray is pretty much a continuation of the previous color. It's hard to tell what a whole truck might look like from a paint chip. These trucks were not buffed out; they were satin finish except for the dipped parts. Sincerely, Ed Hayslip
Hayslip, I look forward to copies of documentation. My Fargo Letters do not include a July 11, 1928 letter.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

Rumbler wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 6:20 am
The new updated paint color booklet (4th Edition) is now available through MAFCA and it includes Commercial Grey!

I just received mine. The color swatches are also much larger for paint shops to reproduce.

cover.jpg
Sample.jpg
I just received mine too - there is hardly any difference between the commercial grey, rock moss, lansie blue, and gunmetal i noticed.