Warford Installation in 1930 AA 131" Wheel Base

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

Warford Installation in 1930 AA 131" Wheel Base

Post by Bradshaw »

AA'ers,

I've got my engine, 4speed and Warford installed in the Early 1930 frame.

I have a 29 U-shaped brake shaft that I want to use to clear the Warford.
I had an extra 30 cross shaft so I drilled out the rivets and removed the lever arms. I plan to drill and rivet those back on the U-shaped cross shaft in the proper place to allign with the holes in the crossmember for the brake rods.

Here is where the problem is. The 29 donor chassis that had the Dual High and the U-shaped cross shaft had holes drilled in the frame rails through which the cross shaft went. There was a set of lever arms pinned on the outside of the frame rails that controlled the front and rear brakes.

The Early 30 frame had the brake cross shaft mounted beneath the frame rail on each side, but closer to the rear crossmember. No holes to go through.

If I were to use the under frame rail location, the U-shaped cross shaft still would not clear the Warford.

I am concerned about drilling the holes in the frame rails to match the location on the 29 Donor. I know that the Warfords were aftermarket items but I just wanted to get the installation as close as possible to what would have been done in 1930.

Has anyone performed a Warford installation in an Early 30?? Does anyone have an Early 30 with a Warford that was installed during that era?
If so, how was the cross-shaft mounted?? Was the Emergency Brake cross shaft mounted forward of the crossmember or aft??

Thanks, Bradshaw
Richard Kinney
Model Year: 1930

warford conversion to 30

Post by Richard Kinney »

chris, i too had to stick a warford in a 30 frame. i found the third x member to be in the right location for the rear mount of the warford with the simple addition of two extra holes. however i to had to use the go around 29 brake shaft, so i measured and drilled the thirty frame to be the exact location as the 29 donor frame and now will use the 29 brake rods to finish the installation,(all 4) however you may have one more issue to address than i did, i will finish the installation using the early 29 front axle, (the light duty size) and i think you have the AA heavy duty one< (late 29 and up) . i do not know the compatability of your front axle with the early 29 brake rods, but i think you better get to uncles and pull all the brake rods off the 29 frame before you sell it. also i have not addressed the emergency brake issue but i think i can just run the 30 e-brake rods cause i didn't touch the 30 set up. don't even consider my position on the 29 brake rods as i have already located a set locally. good luck and maybe someone else can fill in the blanks, your U.P. buddy, dick kinney
Bud Valerius

warford

Post by Bud Valerius »

Look in last years news letter Neil printed instructions that I gave him on the ones I installed in two 1930 131" wheelbase AA's. Bud Valerius economyelectric@hotmail.com