AA Radiator Details Question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
dlevy
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Post by dlevy »

Hi All,

Can someone please verify some details about the AA radiators (1931).

I recently heard that there is a specific radiator for the AA trucks that is larger than those made for the cars.
Additionally, I was told the radiator shell was was made of steel and always painted gloss black and was also a different configuration than that of the car.

The radiator I have is 48 tubes across with 3 rows deep and my shell is stainless steel. They both appear in really good condition so I'm assuming they are repros.

If that is the case where the AA parts are different, does anyone have both or either the AA radiator or radiator shell available?

Thanks,
Dave

Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Re: AA Radiator Details Question

Post by Bob C »

The 30-31 AA radiator is four rows. The shell was thicker than the Model A shell
and didn't have the widows peak, a few deluxe shells were stainless steel.
AAshell.JPG
AAshell.JPG (136.73 KiB) Viewed 4042 times
dlevy

Post by dlevy »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if the AA shell will fit an A radiator and vice versa?

Is your shell pictured available for sale?

Dave
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

dlevy wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 7:28 am
Hi All, Can someone please verify some details about the AA radiators (1931). Additionally, I was told the radiator shell was was made of steel and always painted gloss black and was also a different configuration than that of the car.

If that is the case where the AA parts are different, does anyone have both or either the AA radiator or radiator shell available? Thanks, Dave
Dave, Your 1931 AA would have had radiator AA-8005-B (4 rows of 34 oblong tubes). Details are found in the RGJS page E-20. An A chassis radiator shell will not fit on radiator AA-8005-B. The shell for radiator AA-8005-B is as shown above. It was a dipped, gloss black enamel, steel radiator shell. The crank hole cover, rivet, and Ford emblem maintained the same finishes and timeline as the A chassis.

An 1930/1931 A chassis radiator can be installed with the AA shell. But, there will be a gap (about 1/4") between the shell and radiator at the front (does not look very good).

I have an AA radiator shell to sell - see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6577
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by dlevy »

Email sent.

Thanks.