Oversize Model A looking rear axle

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Oversize Model A looking rear axle

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Does anybody have a "AA" rear axle that looks like a over-grown Model "A" one in their truck? According to the "Judging Standards" this is known as "Design 3" and was used beginning in early 1929. The "Design 4" low speed bevel gear AA rear was put into production in January 1930 with the high speed one not being available until March 1930. I was wondering does anybody else have a "AA" truck from early 1930 that still used the "Design 3" (over-grown Model "A" style) rear axle? My truck has the 1929 style cab and sheet metal with the heavier 1930 front axle and frame with the "Design 3" high speed bevel gear rear axle. My feeling is that Ford kept using up what they had made into early 1930 also, especially since the newly designed high speed bevel gear rear was just announced in the March 1930 Service Bulletin that it was now available.

Keith
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Oversize Model A looking rear axle

Post by Neil Wilson »

FYI - Attached is a picture of what Keith is asking about. This is a bevel gear axle. The 82-A cab was used on both A and AA chassis through June 1930.
Attachments
aa4000-bta89-q8.jpg
aa4000-bta89-q8.jpg (123.1 KiB) Viewed 8017 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Hayslip »

I have one of those rear ends with its unique torque tube. It has the hubs with separate service brake shoes. The end of the torque tube that attaches to the rear end housing has the letter "A" on it. Contrary to what is quoted in the Service Letters/Service Bulletins this letter is on the torque tube not the rear housing itself. I've never been able to see any markings on the rear end housings itself. This rear end is not in a truck; is located under cover in a garage and is not for sale. When I bought it years ago it was the first one i'd seen; it needed a home. IT WEIGHS A TON!! Regards, Ed
Hayslip
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

tiredtruckrestorer wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 5:54 pm
My truck has the 1929 style cab and sheet metal with the heavier 1930 front axle and frame with the "Design 3" high speed bevel gear rear axle.

Keith
You have just described a Early 1930. Ford upgraded the frame and axles but carried over to '29 cab through May 1930. It may have the 1930 type gas cap and the two holes for mirror mounting on the pillar.
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Thanks Ed for the info on where to find the markings on this rear end assembly. Probably wouldn't have noticed it unless I had an idea where to look. Mine has a "B" stamped on the upper end of the rear torque tube flange and it is the "high speed ratio". You're also quite right on how heavy these rears are.

Keith
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

Keith,

We have one of those at my parents house. It's not in a truck and I'm pretty sure the torque tube and radius rods have been cut. I have no idea where it came from, it probably appeared before I was born.

Red