6 or 12 volt?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
John - NNY
Model Year: 1930

6 or 12 volt?

Post by John - NNY »

I am just begining my project. I was going to start by rebuilding the generator and starter. Something to put on a shelf and say "it's restored and ready to go". I'm undecided if I want to go 6 or 12 volt. I plan to drive the truck frequently (day/ night, long/ short drives). I also plan to use improved headlights and other electrical acceceries. The conversion of the model A generator to 12 volt is reletively easy. My concern is that I read the model a generator is in danger of incineration above 13 amps since no provision for armature cooling was provided. I was thinking of maybe using a Ford generator from the mid to late 1930's converted to 12 volt. A modern voltage regulator would be discretly added. That would be an improvement over the model A and not look as out of place as a modern alternator. I would like to avoid using an alternator. What are some of your thoughts?

John
NNY

1930 AA, 157" wb
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: 6 or 12 volt?

Post by Neil Wilson »

I converted a pickup to 12 volt and I used an alternator, stock starter, different coil (8 volt I think) and 12 volt light bulbs. I put a power reducer (can't remember the name of the device) for the horn.

This pickup was my only means of transportation for about five years. The started worked fine with 12 volts and would turn the engine great even at -10 degrees. I was careful not to run the started for any length of time.

I wanted the 12 volts to insure my truck would start in below 0 temps.
Regards, Neil Wilson