Direction of springs

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Direction of springs

Post by Shorthaul »

Which direction do the grease fittings point on the rear springs, to the rear or front. And I'm supposing the zirk fittings on the shackles and axle clamps are in the rear.
Who carries bushings.
Thanks for any info.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Re: Direction of springs

Post by Shorthaul »

i found the answers in the search section. Looks like grease fitting are toward the rear and the top axle clamp is located on the inside. Thanks to the forum.
timothy
Body Type: 1.5 stakebody
Model Year: 1928

Post by timothy »

the bushings i bought had to be drilled out in order for grease to get into the bushing. Im wondering the size of the threads to cut into the brass cause the fittings go that deep. im thinking 3/8x28 but it seems like 1/8-27 pipe will work? is this threads to cut a pipe? anyone know what 1/8-27 mean? it is a tapered tap
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

timothy wrote:
September 13th, 2021, 6:43 am
the bushings i bought had to be drilled out in order for grease to get into the bushing. I'm wondering the size of the threads to cut into the brass cause the fittings go that deep. im thinking 3/8x28 but it seems like 1/8-27 pipe will work? is this threads to cut a pipe? anyone know what 1/8-27 mean? it is a tapered tap

1/8 " X 27 NPT "national pipe thread"/ 1/8 " pipe and 27 threads per inch..

Just check what thread is on the grease fittings, and cut them that size. Or a bit larger. The fitting dose not have to thread into the bushing. Just have the fitting fit into the bushing so it will not rotate .. Or have a hole in the bushing line up to let the grease thru...
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Post by David R. »

Most threaded grease fittings are 1/8” pipe thread. All fittings on my ‘30 springs were not threaded- press in.
Rear springs have a long and short side. If fittings on springs aim to rear they will be correct with long side to rear. Shackles are L/R, fittings to front I believe. Tapered frame or straight? I believe spring mounts on axle: grease fittings face rear on tapered frame but I think are reversed on straight frame. Service bulletins detail this. You usually need to drill grease holes. I bought standard oilite bushings for spring eyes etc.,. and made me a graver to cut oil grooves.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Dave?? what is a --made me a graver to cut oil grooves. Never heard of that one.. :?
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Post by David R. »

I would send a photo but can’t load them here. I forged a tool, hardened and tempered it, then ground edge to cut oil grooves.