Re installing complete drive line 157" WB

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake
Model Year: 1931

Re installing complete drive line 157" WB

Post by Shorthaul »

I'm back to putting this truck together and need some advice. I'm thinking I should install the rear end section first, then the intermediate drive line. Then transmission, then engine. Please advise with any advice/ info. Thanks!
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Re installing complete drive line 157" WB

Post by Neil Wilson »

The stock coupling shaft must be installed through the back side of the #4 cross member (i.e. before the rear axle).
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Like Neil said the stock setup goes in from the rear but the service replacement goes from the front.
coupling-2.jpg
coupling-2.jpg (491.06 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
Shorthaul

Post by Shorthaul »

Thanks for the replies and info, and photo. Much needed. Do I understand, I need to connect the intermediate shaft to the rear drive shaft and then bolt to frame. I haven't, looked at the middle shaft, I'm going to do that to day to refamilarize myself with that .
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Shorthaul wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 8:55 am
Thanks for the replies and info, and photo. Much needed. Do I understand, I need to connect the intermediate shaft to the rear drive shaft and then bolt to frame. I haven't, looked at the middle shaft, I'm going to do that to day to refamilarize myself with that .
No, the coupling shaft assembly (shaft, housing, front/rear supports) with the rear u-joint installed needs to be inserted through the #4 cross member first. At that point, one can install the rear axle with its drive shaft/torque tube. The torque tube and coupling shaft can then be bolted together to the #4 cross member.

The engine and transmission can be installed first. Consequently, the coupling shaft can be inserted through the rear of the #4 cross member and bolted to the transmission. The rear axle could be installed last.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Shorthaul »

Thanks Neil. I think I’ve got it, maybe! I haven’t decided whether to pull the engine apart, so I’m thinking start assembling from the rear first basically to keep myself motivated. I’ve got the engine on a stand, with everything pulled off but pan and head. I know it’s the time to do it, I just am hesitant to put in the time and money and then have to try and get 5 cents on the dollar out of it when trying to sell.