battery disconnect switch

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

battery disconnect switch

Post by birdacre »

best style, best spot to mount? any ideas or photos. thank you.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Re: battery disconnect switch

Post by KimVanOrder »

I prefer the type that mounts onto the battery terminal. Pop out the battery cover, Turn the knob and done. Out of sight.. And Cheep.. :lol:
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Post by David R. »

I have been studying about how/where to mount one and was thinking that the battery terminal one might be the easiest solution. Do you have a mat on your floor board?
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

I have a truck that the previous owner mounted a heavy duty cut-off switch in the top hole of the left rear motor mount bracket. Only have to open the hood to get at it.

Keith
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

For a while I had one that mounted on the positive post of the battery going to ground. It was one of the standard no frills ones from the vendors. However it caused problems restricting the electron flow while cranking the engine over resulting in the engine turning over slower than it should.
I removed it and never looked back.

That said it was pretty easy to get to by just lifting up the corner of the floor mat and tilting up the metal floor plate battery cover.

If your negative cable going to the battery and your positive cable to ground are good then just having the fuse mounted after the starter will protect you from most troubles except a parasitic draw. If that is why you are wanting to put in a disconnect then finding the trouble would be the better solution.
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

I agree with Dave. If there is a problem, fix it. I don't have one on my truck, and never found a Reason to have one. Fuse your system as you should and there should never be a problem. I do have a magnetic quick connect onto a battery tender that is on all the time, so the battery is always full and it makes the battery last many many years... I'm using a "Genius 7500" tender. De sulfates automatically. Keeps it toped off, and shuts off automatically.. I really recommend this type..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
birdacre
Body Type: AA express

Post by birdacre »

the fuse does not protect the starter, if a brake pedal hangs up, power can be drawn down. i like to have all power cut off in an old barn with lots of autos,mice etc.i wish the fuse was between the battery and starter.
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

then in your case the disconnect makes sense. Go with any one you like. I've seen them mounted in the front of the seat riser, between your legs. Handy and functional, but you can see it. All depends what your preference is. You know, if your disconnecting once a year, just take the cable off. If more often, the switch makes sense.. hey! you interested in an over / underdrive unit? I got one off a TT to get rid of..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA