Express Patch panels

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
gad62
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Express Patch panels

Post by gad62 »

Has anyone here ever made patch panels to repair yhe lower part of the express bed?? I need some ideas and guidance if you have any....thanks.....Greg
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Express Patch panels

Post by Chris Haynes »

There were some made a few years ago. I think its time for a new batch to be run. I'll buy a set.
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Post by KimVanOrder »

photos of what you need? or damaged area..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
gad62

Post by gad62 »

I dont have the bed off ,however most of the part that sits on the truck frame( that the wooden support sits in) and where it rolls upward to the side panels is rusted....ive read this is common.....i didnt know if most people went to a metal shop wit a brake amf had new bent or what
flatford39

Post by flatford39 »

I would be interested also as long as it includes the rolled piece as well and they are not being sold by Howell's who isn't trustworthy. It's a little trickier than you think as it needs to match the tapered frame rails.
gad62

Post by gad62 »

That is true...id forgot about the tapered frame!! Ive never looked at one upside down
birdacre
Body Type: AA express

Post by birdacre »

i brought my panels to a sheet metal shop in ct. i paid 3200 and had all rotted areas remade and butt welded with no bondo. they also remade headboard and the rear "U" style crossmember that wraps tailgate. my bed was rotted out from bottom wheel wells down. i have similar for sale, rot as stated, very straight, good tailgate, message me for photos. it was worth it to me to spend the money to have a real express bed. by the time i got done with crossmembers and bed hardware and oak maybe 5k into bed. a sickness but a good one.