New guy with some questions.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Ohiowoodchuck
Model Year: 1930

New guy with some questions.

Post by Ohiowoodchuck »

New guy here with some questions about the model aa truck. I want to buy a model aa truck this summer. Can you guys tell me what is available for aftermarket sheetmetal for these trucks. I’m interested in a aa express truck but know they are like finding hens teeth. I read somewhere that guys were using tt beds and modifying them to fit. Another question I have is about the tops. I see there is a wood kit that goes on the inside and you put some material over that but are all the truck cab configurations like that. I’m sorry for all the questions but I’m just wanting to learn a little about the trucks before I start shopping. If I know what’s available aftermarket this will determine how bad of a truck I can buy and fix. Thanks Men.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: New guy with some questions.

Post by Neil Wilson »

Ohiowoodchuck wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 9:01 am
New guy here with some questions about the model aa truck. I want to buy a model aa truck this summer. Can you guys tell me what is available for aftermarket sheetmetal for these trucks. I’m interested in a aa express truck but know they are like finding hens teeth. I read somewhere that guys were using tt beds and modifying them to fit. Another question I have is about the tops. I see there is a wood kit that goes on the inside and you put some material over that but are all the truck cab configurations like that. I’m sorry for all the questions but I’m just wanting to learn a little about the trucks before I start shopping. If I know what’s available aftermarket this will determine how bad of a truck I can buy and fix. Thanks Men.
Just like the A commercial vehicles, the AA's used the same cabs - 82-A closed cab through 6/30 and 82-B closed cab starting 6/30. The 76-A and 76-B open cabs were available for the same time periods. See https://aafords.com/cabs/. There are lots of reproduction parts for these cabs (many incorrectly reference these as pickup cabs).

There is not much in the way of reproduction parts available for cargo bodies (including the express bodies). There are many cargo body types. See https://aafords.com/aa-body-types/ and follow links to see what Ford offered.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Ohiowoodchuck »

Thank you for the help. That explains a lot. So can you specify what model the Walton truck was I thought it was a 29 aa express. I’m wanting to get a similar model but from what I understand the Bed would be hard to come by. I would be happy finding a similar model cab and putting a flatbed on it.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Ohiowoodchuck wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 11:23 am
Thank you for the help. That explains a lot. So can you specify what model the Walton truck was I thought it was a 29 aa express. I’m wanting to get a similar model but from what I understand the Bed would be hard to come by. I would be happy finding a similar model cab and putting a flatbed on it.
The Walton's AA was an Express truck (82-A closed cab and 89-A express on AA131 chassis). That 82-A closed cab was used on the AA into June 1930. That same Walton's Express truck with a platform was the most common truck which Ford sold. Finding an 89-A express and corresponding rear fender, long running board/shield, installation hardware and rear fender brackets is on the very hard (expensive) list.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Ohiowoodchuck »

Thank you Mr. Wilson. So I should have no problem finding the truck but with some other form of bed. I can live with that. Who are some of the manufacturers or companies that have cab and front end sheetmetal available for truck. I just want to get a feel for what’s out there that when I start looking I’ll know what’s repairable and what isn’t. I apologize for all the questions.
Ohiowoodchuck

Post by Ohiowoodchuck »

I forgot to add. All the trucks I see that need work the top is open. I assume this is where the wood frame has rotted out. Was the 89a cab like this.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Ohiowoodchuck wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 5:06 pm
Thank you Mr. Wilson. So I should have no problem finding the truck but with some other form of bed. I can live with that. Who are some of the manufacturers or companies that have cab and front end sheetmetal available for truck. I just want to get a feel for what’s out there that when I start looking I’ll know what’s repairable and what isn’t. I apologize for all the questions.
Ohiowoodchuck wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 5:35 pm
I forgot to add. All the trucks I see that need work the top is open. I assume this is where the wood frame has rotted out. Was the 89a cab like this.
There is no 89-A cab. The 89-A is the express cargo body. The closed cabs are 82-A and 82-B (used on both the A and AA chassis). Most project AA's will need the top replaced (wood and top material). Vendors selling sheet metal for the closed cabs include Snyders, Bert's, Bratton's, etc. - do a search for "Model A Ford Parts?". Note - you will have to live with the fact that most vendors put the cab parts under "Pickup Truck". The concept of 82-A and 82-B are just not how vendors present part normally. I did a search on the Snyder's site for 82-A and got a fairly good list.

The 1928 through mid 1929 AA's with platform had a factory option of rear fenders. If you find a platform truck with good rear fenders, then there will likely be the long board/shields. All of these were also used with the 89-A express cargo body. So, this would be a step toward you Express truck goal.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Ohiowoodchuck »

Thanks for the reply Mr. Wilson. I made a typo on my last reply on the cab numbers. I tried to go back in and fix it but was unable to. Another question I have is the floor pans made out of wood and not sheetmetal. Also I assume that most of the cab metal from the model a truck interchanges.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Ohiowoodchuck wrote:
February 23rd, 2021, 9:24 am
Thanks for the reply Mr. Wilson. I made a typo on my last reply on the cab numbers. I tried to go back in and fix it but was unable to. Another question I have is the floor pans made out of wood and not sheetmetal. Also I assume that most of the cab metal from the model a truck interchanges.
82-A floor pans - see https://aafords.com/cabs/82-a-closed-ca ... b-details/
floor boards - see https://aafords.com/aa-body-types/floorboards/
82-A closed cab was used on both the A and AA chassis (no difference).
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Ohiowoodchuck »

Thanks for the clarification. I’ll study these links tonight and the rest of information available on the website and I’ll come back if I have any more questions. Thanks again for all the help Mr. Wilson
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Post by birdacre »

i have an express bed for sale and a rear driver fender NOS. the bed needs to be remade from wheel wells down. it is possible, i did the same on my truck. fabricating with a sheetmetal shop and lots of tig welding and grinding, can send photos of bed and my current truck, in ct.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

I am no expert, considering myself a new guy also. I have learned a lot over the past few months.
I bought a $600 AA sight unseen over a year ago at an auction. Basically a rolling chassis with a commercial cowl and remnants of a wood huckster body. Hindsight is 20/20. Now I wish I had waited and found a more complete or running truck. I already have more money in this one than I would likely have paid for a complete truck and still don’t have it running. Had I known, but I am in with both feet now and no turning back.
One thing I would highly recommend is that if you need machine work done on an engine take it to a reputable shop with model A experience! I am in a nightmare scenario with mine after using what I thought was a reputable local shop.
Good news is when I am done this truck should be nearly as good as new and there won’t be any thing about it mechanically I am not intimately familiar with.
Ohiowoodchuck

Post by Ohiowoodchuck »

Thanks for the info guys. I haven’t found anything yet or seen anything reasonable priced. I’ve seen a few that I felt were more money then they was worth.
1wonton
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1wonton »

Check out Facebook Marketplace in Northern California 1928.