82-A cab underside paint

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Lewisag1
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1928

82-A cab underside paint

Post by Lewisag1 »

I could swear that I read somewhere that the underside of the cab was painted in a satin black, but cannot find it anywhere. I have a 1928 November built AA that is originally Gunmetal Blue and when I removed the cab and started repairs found, what I thought to be black paint. Time and people making changes along the way could have invalidated what I saw. Can anyone tell me if the bottom of the cab was originally sprayed body color or satin black? Thanks in advance for your help!
Hayslip
Model Year: 1930

Re: 82-A cab underside paint

Post by Hayslip »

I suggest the bottom would NOT be a different color. Ford couldn't make these trucks fast enough. A two toned cab would slow down production. Masking might be required to separate a part of a truck nobody sees plus different color paint, paint gun, time etc. I'm open to other thoughts. Ed
Hayslip
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Lewisag1 wrote:
May 18th, 2021, 11:56 am
I could swear that I read somewhere that the underside of the cab was painted in a satin black, but cannot find it anywhere. I have a 1928 November built AA that is originally Gunmetal Blue and when I removed the cab and started repairs found, what I thought to be black paint. Time and people making changes along the way could have invalidated what I saw. Can anyone tell me if the bottom of the cab was originally sprayed body color or satin black? Thanks in advance for your help!
Per page 4-18 of the Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standard (RGJS):
The underside of metal sub-frame models (would include 82-A closed cab) were painted body color.

The entire cab with top wood installed - painted with lacquer paint and not polished.

Wood floorboards - treated with a dual black wood preservative (RGJS 11-5).

Per page E-88 of the (RGJS):

1928 AA Color Schemes
Entire Body Belt Striping
Commercial Gray (1) Commercial Gray French Gray
Gun Metal Blue (2) Gun Metal Blue French Gray
(1) Through August 1928 M682 pyroxylin (lacquer) and M696 satin (commercial gray would have been a dark green)
(2) Beginning in August 1928 M680 pyroxylin (lacquer) and M690 satin
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1928

Post by Lewisag1 »

Thanks for verifying my question! Want it to be correct first time out! :!: