tire wear on outside slight one side

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

tire wear on outside slight one side

Post by birdacre »

causes, is there a castor or camber on a ford model A. new king pins 10k ago. denman tires. any advice?
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Re: tire wear on outside slight one side

Post by Reds34 »

I would say it's a camber issue. They're not adjustable other than new kingpin bushings.

Red
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform

Post by KimVanOrder »

Rotate tires will help..
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

A worn ball on the rear of the radius rod, incorrect assembly, and/or broken springs on the cap assembly can all change the caster of the front axle. A bent axle, especially the "A" axle used on the earlier trucks, can also cause tire wear problems. Before I do a kingpin job, I usually remove the front axle and check that kingpins holes and radius rod holes are all in line and at the same angle. If not, then it goes in the press to straighten the axle where needed. If you think about it, how did these trucks usually get towed (a chain around the front axle). I've even had to straighten the heavier 30-31 axles because they were bent.

Keith
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

i bet you are right. bumps, potholes, 100 years of stress. maybe i am lucky. my wheels are out of round bent, but not sure if this would cause wear. all out of round some, put worst on rear. i wonder if i dismounted and took to a machine shop if they could be pressed into true or if they have a memory.
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

Have you checked "run out" with a dial indicator? First place to start, so you know just how out of round they are. Then to the machinist for input as to "if" they can do anything to help. If they are wire spoke wheels it may be very difficult to "bend" them into true round.. I have heard of actually turning (cutting) the tire to get it 100% round. But that would be only if it is a 'little' out of round.. I'd start with the indicator on the rim it self to confirm that that is round, then work your way out to the actual rim. How perfectly round should they be? I don't know.. I'd like to hear just how out of round they are.. Good luck...

KVO
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

the bad wheels on rear are about 3/4 inch out of round. i put a cement block near wheel with screwdriver almost touching wheel. spin it and see at the most the tip of driver is 3/4 inch away. they are steel wheels with holes. the front wheels maybe 1/4 inch out of round. a simple but infallible measuring device.
KimVanOrder

Post by KimVanOrder »

WOW !! 3/4" out... Scrap pile.. You can ask a machine shop if they can straighten, But at what cost????? ---- find some different rims. Oh! Check the hub center, and the studs that mount the wheel. Just to be sure.. Good luck...

kvo
KVO
Dec. '28 AA
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Post by David R. »

My son’s car had bent wheel. Dealer had a guy with mobile shop in a trailer straighten them. Don’t know if they could do big truck wheels. Big truck shop maybe? My AA had a horribly bent front axle. I found a straight one.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

I asked this question a decade ago, i was told to check out an RV or semi repair place that has the tools to straighten solid front i beam axles. Those guys would be in the know.

Fyi if i remember right AAs and As had a bit of positive camber on the wheels. Castor yes is largely set by the condition of the radius ball position. Those rubber ball kind of setups throw it outa whack.