worm drive rear end oil

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

worm drive rear end oil

Post by birdacre »

i have been using the lupriplate oil for years. yellow gear safe. i spoke to doug at snyders last year i think and he said the 600w oil they sell is fine for bronze gears. he said model Ts had bronze gears. what is the real answer. i saw article in AA mag. but wonder if perhaps the lupriplate is over kill. it is twice as much. not trying to second guess neils article, just thinking about economics. has anyone used the snyder type for years with no problem.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: worm drive rear end oil

Post by Neil Wilson »

birdacre wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 1:46 pm
i have been using the lupriplate oil for years. yellow gear safe. i spoke to doug at snyders last year i think and he said the 600w oil they sell is fine for bronze gears. he said model Ts had bronze gears. what is the real answer. i saw article in AA mag. but wonder if perhaps the lupriplate is over kill. it is twice as much. not trying to second guess neils article, just thinking about economics. has anyone used the snyder type for years with no problem.
Actually, that 2017 article was by another AA club member (Dave Hetchier). However, Keith Ernst has verified he does not use vendor sold oil for the worm drive gears (he uses Lubriplate SPO 288). I would want the supplier of Snyder's oil to confirm it is good for yellow metal.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Re: worm drive rear end oil

Post by birdacre »

good point neal. it would be good to have doug talk to the supplier. just a thought. never have too much money. never want to be pennywise and senseless either.