AA Mirror bracket

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
REM
Model Year: 1930

AA Mirror bracket

Post by REM »

I will start a new post instead of sidetracking the one below as this is not on topic with the original question but is about mirror brackets.

First are original mirrors and brackets a scarce commodity or just some variations of them?

I have looked at the article in the AA Newsletter about them but need to pay more attention to which ones are for what applications.

I haven't looked much yet but will need two mirrors and brackets eventually. What is the best source? Are the repro's a reasonable option? It would be nice to have one that is a fair representation although it will not go on a show truck and points judjing is not a consideration. The other could be anything period correct and functional including homemade or remade/modified. It will be on a completely unrestored truck but it would be nice to be able to see back when driving or backing.
I guess I should say both would be for early '30 82A's with flat or stake beds.

Richard
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: AA Mirror bracket

Post by Neil Wilson »

The 1930 82-A closed cab with a platform (with or without stake racks) would have originally had an AA-17745 mirror bracket and A-17728 mirror assembly. This mirror set up is shown in the Ford archive photo below. A closer view of this set up is also shown.

The AA-17745 mirror bracket could be mounted on the right side if the appropriate d-nuts are installed in the hinge pillar. This would provide much better visibility.

Finding an original AA-17745 mirror bracket is very hard. Finding an original A-17728 mirror assembly in restorable condition is also very hard.

The good news is that club member Anders Jansson in Finland has made both the A-17727 and A-17728 mirror assemblies and I have some of them to sell (see ad below). These are also listed on the Bratton's catalog.

I got an e-mail from an AA'er who has had some of the AA-17745 mirror bracket made. I have not yet seen one and do not know what the price will be.
Attachments
xNeil Wilson Ad - Mirror.jpg
xNeil Wilson Ad - Mirror.jpg (64.87 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
xMirror Setup 04 a.jpg
xMirror Setup 04 a.jpg (21.76 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
x30 Platform 54544.jpg
x30 Platform 54544.jpg (97.27 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
Regards, Neil Wilson