Rear spring shackle bushing?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
wild4679
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Rear spring shackle bushing?

Post by wild4679 »

Is there a bushing in the rear spring shackle of a 31 AA? After removing the rear axle from the spring, I see a lot of slop between the spring shackle casing the bolt that carries the weight of the truck on the axle. It appears the removal of this bolt will take on a life of its own and I'd like to know ahead of time if there is a bushing to replace before I get into it.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Rear spring shackle bushing?

Post by Neil Wilson »

wild4679 wrote:
September 7th, 2021, 6:21 am
Is there a bushing in the rear spring shackle of a 31 AA? After removing the rear axle from the spring, I see a lot of slop between the spring shackle casing the bolt that carries the weight of the truck on the axle. It appears the removal of this bolt will take on a life of its own and I'd like to know ahead of time if there is a bushing to replace before I get into it.
There were no bushing between the axle and the rear spring seats (see attached). The rear spring shackles are located at the front of the rear springs. The shackles include a bushing.
Attachments
Rear Spring Seat Assembly - 29 AA131 right a4.jpg
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Post by wild4679 »

Thank you, Neil. I was using the wrong terminology. I agree the shackles are on the front end of the rear spring. I will want to re-bush and re-pin these shackles.

Looking at the rear end of the same spring, the upper seat assembly in your attached picture has a place for what I think is called the Rear Spring Seat Locking Pin, part # AA-5798. I'm making an assumption this locking pin retains the Rear Spring Seat Pin, part #AA-5799. How is this locking pin removed? Or said another way, how is the locking pin held in place? It doesn't seem logical to back off the nut and have the pin simply pull out.

Looking ahead, I envision this locking pin is corroded. I'd like some advice on how to dismantle this rear spring seat pin and locking pin and rebuild it.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

wild4679 wrote:
September 7th, 2021, 1:00 pm
Thank you, Neil. I was using the wrong terminology. I agree the shackles are on the front end of the rear spring. I will want to re-bush and re-pin these shackles.

Looking at the rear end of the same spring, the upper seat assembly in your attached picture has a place for what I think is called the Rear Spring Seat Locking Pin, part # AA-5798. I'm making an assumption this locking pin retains the Rear Spring Seat Pin, part #AA-5799. How is this locking pin removed? Or said another way, how is the locking pin held in place? It doesn't seem logical to back off the nut and have the pin simply pull out.

Looking ahead, I envision this locking pin is corroded. I'd like some advice on how to dismantle this rear spring seat pin and locking pin and rebuild it.
There have been five articles published in the Double A'er (fmaatc newsletter). There is a list of AA-chassis articles found at https://aafords.com/c/nl/#cat. These articles should help in understanding this subject.

If you don't have the Double A'er past newsletters, they are available - see https://aafords.com/c/nl/#pn

The locking pin is tapered. To remove, take the nut off and drive the locking pin out (like the locking pin for the king pin).

I have found the seats seldom got grease and are many times worn (up/down play). The shackles may not need much as they got little movement.

The upper rear seat pin will likely require heat (a fair amount likely) to remove.
Attachments
AA-5799 Pin (upper seat) 1b-xx.jpg
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

Just finished with this on mine. Bolts and bushings in spring eyes well worn. Bolts in shackles useable with new bushings. Pins in rear spring eyes worn badly. Some heat and heavy hammer rule in old truck disassembly. I removed nut and lock washers on locking pin and put nut back on to hammer it till it moves so I don’t batter it.
I ground mating edges of spring seat pairs on wide flat belt sander to remove slop in fit around axle.