Floating motor mounts

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
wild4679
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Floating motor mounts

Post by wild4679 »

Does anyone have experience with a floating rear motor mount? My friend with a Model A pickup says it is a must to have this to reduce the motor vibration. I see Snyder's has a kit, but it is not in the AA section. Does the AA OEM motor mount accept this "floating" system, and if so, does it reduce the vibration from the motor?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Floating motor mounts

Post by Neil Wilson »

wild4679 wrote:
September 20th, 2021, 11:04 am
Does anyone have experience with a floating rear motor mount? My friend with a Model A pickup says it is a must to have this to reduce the motor vibration. I see Snyder's has a kit, but it is not in the AA section. Does the AA OEM motor mount accept this "floating" system, and if so, does it reduce the vibration from the motor?
I would say no. If the A-chassis engine rear supports are installed in an AA-chassis, the engine will be lowered. Consequently, there will be an alignment problem with items which extend through the cab floor (clutch/brake pedals, accelerator pedal, choke rod).
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: stake

Post by cokefirst »

I had my AA restored by a guy 40 years ago. When I got it back, I noted that the plate that goes around the pedal an the steering column would not fit. I drove it like that and even looked into making a custom plate out of two of them. I refreshed the restoration with a body off repaint and also installed the float a motor. It still had the problem with the plate not fitting. As part of the re restoration I found that the speedometer drive gear kept getting the teeth rounded off, Si I decided to remove the shaft behind the transmission and repair that problem. Having never removed a torque tube, i found a guy that does that work and together he helped me remove the parts, get the replacements and put it back together. He found that the rear of the engine was not sitting as it should, even with the factory mounts. I purchased a float a motor for the A and installed it with shims to bring the back of the engine up into correct alignment and it now works perfectly and the plate and other items not line up as they should. The Float A Motor will work on the AA.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

cokefirst wrote:
September 28th, 2021, 12:21 pm
I purchased a float a motor for the A and installed it with shims to bring the back of the engine up into correct alignment and it now works perfectly and the plate and other items not line up as they should. The Float A Motor will work on the AA.
Many parts can be modified to work. Correction "modified float a motor" will work.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by Jeff Brown »

I used the Float-a-motor mounts in my truck and everything fitted in without any modification. I think this could be that I have a Warford auxiliary gearbox in as well, so if the engine was sitting at a different height, the difference was taken up by the clamshell connection to the auxiliary. I can't say if it is any better or worse than normal mounts though as this is the only truck I have ever driven!
20180616_132907e.jpg
Jeff
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Jeff Brown wrote:
September 30th, 2021, 7:14 pm
I used the Float-a-motor mounts in my truck and everything fitted in without any modification. I think this could be that I have a Warford auxiliary gearbox in as well, so if the engine was sitting at a different height, the difference was taken up by the clamshell connection to the auxiliary. I can't say if it is any better or worse than normal mounts though as this is the only truck I have ever driven!
20180616_132907e.jpgJeff
Jeff, Is the cab now installed with cab-to-engine connections complete (like choke rod, accelerator pedal, starter rod)? The Warford installation would not have an effect to the engine installation as it just replaces the coupling shaft.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

I did a quick measurement and it looks like if you use an "A" rear mount in
a "AA" the engine will be one inch lower at the rear mount.
Jeff Brown

Post by Jeff Brown »

Yes, my truck is now complete and everything seems to fit Ok, I think the rear of my engine is about an inch lower but the Warford just slopes towards that so he universal is not straight - same where the warford connects to the drive shaft. Reminds me, I need to post some pics of my truck now that it is finished!

Jeff
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Jeff Brown wrote:
October 1st, 2021, 6:53 pm
Yes, my truck is now complete and everything seems to fit Ok, I think the rear of my engine is about an inch lower but the Warford just slopes towards that so he universal is not straight - same where the warford connects to the drive shaft. Reminds me, I need to post some pics of my truck now that it is finished!Jeff
Jeff, Since the rear of the engine is about 1" low, the choke rod should not connect to the carburetor correctly?
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Jeff Brown »

Yes it does. I did not have any alignment issues that I can remember although all that was installed about 3 years ago.

Jeff
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

If the AA engines sit 1" lowere in the frame how does the throttle linkage and started rod, which are the same as an A, work correctly. It would also affect the position of the clutch and brake pedals.
cokefirst
Body Type: stake

Post by cokefirst »

Hello Neil, I know you are the Guru on the AA so I would never argue a point with you. My original engine was obviously rebuilt at one time because it had a stamping that was not an engine number. When I had the truck repaired and restored, the engine was obviously low in the rear with the original motor mounts. I was not enough of a Model A guy to know why the pedals were lower and, as I stated, the plate that holds the felt and mounts to the floor around the pedals and steering column would not line up. I put the Float A Motor and it had the same alignment problems as the original mount. I would have had to shim either the standard mounts or the Float a Motor. I am not sure why the original mounts left the vehicle engine not sitting properly. Is there a different mount for the AA? If so, maybe that is my problem. In any case, I have the Float A Motor and with the shims I am very happy with the performance of this set up.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

cokefirst wrote:
November 24th, 2021, 6:30 pm
Hello Neil, .... Is there a different mount for the AA?
Hello cokefirst,
Yes, The AA-chassis had different engine rear supports than the A-chassis. Refer to https://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-5000- ... kets/#ersa.

Note that there was a design 1 support used in December 1927 which I believe was used for both the A and AA-chassis. From 12/27—2/30 a design 2 AA-chassis support was used. From 3/30—12/32 a design 3 AA-chassis support was used.
Regards, Neil Wilson