Filling a worm drive rear end

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
rustya1928
Body Type: 89
Model Year: 1928

Filling a worm drive rear end

Post by rustya1928 »

I know that you fill the bottom end of the differential case up to the filler plug, but what about the filler plug at the back of the worm itself? Should those bearings be packed with grease when doing final assembly? Do you pour the rear end oil in thru that plug. Any suggestions would be of great help.
Thanks
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: Filling a worm drive rear end

Post by 1crosscut »

I put some in through the top most filler plug just to make sure that there was 600 wt. oil on the thrust bearing at first. Then I finished filling using the lower fill hole. I don't think that greasing the thrust bearing is necessary as the 600 wt. will coat the upper worm drive and thrust bearings as it is driven.
------------
Dave
KimVanOrder
Body Type: 82-A Platform
Model Year: 1928

Re: Filling a worm drive rear end

Post by KimVanOrder »

1crosscut wrote:
September 26th, 2021, 11:02 am
I put some in through the top most filler plug just to make sure that there was 600 wt. oil on the thrust bearing at first. Then I finished filling using the lower fill hole. I don't think that greasing the thrust bearing is necessary as the 600 wt. will coat the upper worm drive and thrust bearings as it is driven.
Agreed.
KVO
Dec. '28 AA