worm drive drive shaft

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
rustya1928
Body Type: 89
Model Year: 1928

worm drive drive shaft

Post by rustya1928 »

Has anyone run into the problem with the worm and the drive shaft being riveted together at the splined collier? If so, any suggestions as to which rivet to remove so you can rebuild the grease retainer and large felt seal that go into the end of the torque tube. This has to come apart in order to replace the felt seal. I am using all of the original bearings in the rear end as they all look good and this truck won't be a long distance touring truck. I am replacing all of the axle seals and torque tube seals and bearings. I have also been told it is okay to turn the bronze ring gear around and install it . Anyone have any opinions on this?
Thanks for any help.
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: worm drive drive shaft

Post by 1crosscut »

I remove the rear most rivet. The housing at that point has a little bit larger diameter giving the replacement pin more room.
I'd be reluctant to swap the bronze gear around as by this time the gears are pretty comfortable running where they are.
------------
Dave
rustya1928

Post by rustya1928 »

Thanks, that is what I thought on the bronze gear.
Charlie
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

rustya1928 wrote:
October 6th, 2021, 7:58 am
Thanks, that is what I thought on the bronze gear.
Charlie
If the bronze gear is worn or damaged to not be usable, then the options would be to reverse the gear or get a replacement. If the bronze gear is still usable, then don't reverse it.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Express

Post by 1wonton »

Make sure you don't use a gear oil with EP additives, it will destroy you bronze gear in no time.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

1crosscut wrote:
October 5th, 2021, 6:23 pm
I remove the rear most rivet. The housing at that point has a little bit larger diameter giving the replacement pin more room.
I'd be reluctant to swap the bronze gear around as by this time the gears are pretty comfortable running where they are.
to expand on this yes the rear pin, also the catalogs sell a replacement pin kit that is either a pin with a small cotter pin or they give you a rivet you can peen over.
1wonton
Body Type: Express

Post by 1wonton »

You really don't need to replace the rear pin as long as the front pin is in place.
rustya1928

Post by rustya1928 »

Thanks,
So basically this would work like the 30-31 bevel drive shaft and make life much easier putting the drive shaft assembly together.
I am going to use lubriplate spo-288 for yellow gears in the rear end. That is what I read on this site as a recommendation.
Thanks for the help.
Is there any adjustments that should be made on the worm to bronze gear for backlash of any kind? I really didn't notice anything when I took it apart. I am also going to run the original carrier Timken bearings and races. They okay, and I haven't been able to find replacements. Thanks, Charlie
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

You may want to read the January 1930 Service Bulletin. It talks about the change in not riveting the coupling to the pinion and drive shaft. If the coupling has the one pin removed (the rear one), then a new u-joint has to be used on the front of the drive shaft that has a collar in it to prevent the driveshaft from moving too far forward. A drawing is shown with the u-joint with the collar.

Keith