88-A Platform Bed Wood

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
dlevy
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

88-A Platform Bed Wood

Post by dlevy »

Hi,

Does anyone have the measurements to cut the grooves for the bed skid strips in the wood floor.

I know the boards are to be 7-1/4" x 1-1/4" white pine (outer boards are a bit wider).

Looking for how deep and wide the grooves are and also the offset of the groove from the outside edge of the board.

I used a white pine tree cut down from my house for the wood. It has sufficiently dried and is now ready to be planed and cut to size.

Also, what finish was on the boards originally.

Thanks
Dave
Attachments
IMG_4283.JPG
IMG_4716.JPG
IMG_4705.JPG
IMG_4699.JPG
gad62
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Re: 88-A Platform Bed Wood

Post by gad62 »

Love that old mill...used to work on one when i was a kid!!did my share of carrying slabs and shoveling out the cat hole!! Thanks for the memories...Greg
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

Boards were painted bed color.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

dlevy wrote:
December 14th, 2021, 8:20 pm
Hi,

Does anyone have the measurements to cut the grooves for the bed skid strips in the wood floor.

I know the boards are to be 7-1/4" x 1-1/4" white pine (outer boards are a bit wider).

Looking for how deep and wide the grooves are and also the offset of the groove from the outside edge of the board.

I used a white pine tree cut down from my house for the wood. It has sufficiently dried and is now ready to be planed and cut to size.

Also, what finish was on the boards originally.

Thanks
Dave
Dave,
I recommend that you use the skid strips you will be using as a guide for the grooves. Most reproduction strips are slightly different as compared to originals. The trough of the strips should rest on top of the boards. The 5/16" carriage bolts are between boards.

Yes, Chris is correct. The platform was completely assembled and painted the same color as the cab. Original paint was lacquer and not polished. The bottom side was mostly painted as well. Most paint individual pieces to get better coverage. Many choose to decorate by staining the boards. The attached AA is restored to very-original. An additive was use to dull the paint to simulate unpolished lacquer.
Attachments
IMG_1221-q8.jpg
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Hayslip »

I suggest the wood parts were painted enamel, not lacquer. See Indianapolis Service letter of 9-22-1930 page 5 listing enamel paints for wood parts of stake bodies and flat beds. I do agree everything was painted body color.
Hayslip
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hayslip wrote:
December 16th, 2021, 7:32 am
I suggest the wood parts were painted enamel, not lacquer. See Indianapolis Service letter of 9-22-1930 page 5 listing enamel paints for wood parts of stake bodies and flat beds. I do agree everything was painted body color.
I believe that the platform bodies and stake racks were assembled before painting. So, if enamel was used for wood parts, then the entire assemblies were painted enamel. It would be interesting to find the "general letter" referenced.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Hayslip »

Under separate cover I'll send you the copy of the page quoting "enamel" for wood parts.
Hayslip
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hayslip wrote:
December 17th, 2021, 6:52 am
Under separate cover I'll send you the copy of the page quoting "enamel" for wood parts.
Edwin, I do have the referenced page. So, no need to send. Thanks for the offer.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82B

Post by dlevy »

Hi everyone.

Thank you again for helping me in the right direction!

Dave
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

Post by birdacre »

how old is the saw rig? very neat. is it a a LANE or AMIDON?
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B

Post by AAholic »

The attached AA is restored to very-original. An additive was use to dull the paint to simulate unpolished lacquer.

If I can butt into your thread a minute: Neil, what additive was used to dull the paint to simulate unpolished lacquer, It looks very convincing?
Attachments
IMG_1221-q8.jpg
IMG_1221-q8.jpg (85.96 KiB) Viewed 21014 times
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

AAholic wrote:
December 22nd, 2021, 2:03 pm
The attached AA is restored to very-original. An additive was use to dull the paint to simulate unpolished lacquer.

If I can butt into your thread a minute: Neil, what additive was used to dull the paint to simulate unpolished lacquer, It looks very convincing?
AAholic, Sorry, I don't know. The owner relayed that he used an additive.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1928

Post by Lewisag1 »

In an answer to the additive, I am restoring my late 1928 AA and had my paint store mix up a satin finish Imron 3.5 Satin Plus paint color to imitate the non-buffed lacquer paint. My paint supplier is National Coatings & Supply. They were able to come up with a formula that looks like gunmetal blue.
Attachments
BE7F5877-D5CA-4708-B7F5-5803B768F8E5.jpeg
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B

Post by AAholic »

I am restoring my late 1928 AA and had my paint store mix up a satin finish Imron 3.5 Satin Plus paint color to imitate the non-buffed lacquer paint. My paint supplier is National Coatings & Supply. They were able to come up with a formula that looks like gunmetal blue.
Thanks for sharing the information about the paint additive and the photo of your spectacular looking truck.