Will a 1929

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

Will a 1929

Post by Bradshaw »

AA driveshaft from a 131" truck swap into a 30 AA 131" truck.

I'm in the midst of a Warford installation. I have a 6 to 10 spline u-joint for the Warford to driveshaft coupling. The trouble is that the u-joint has "deep splines" and the driveshaft has "shallow splines". I have had a machinist try to bore the u-joint splines out to the correct dimension, but the cutter kept breaking.

I have a 29 AA donor and have pulled the torque tube. The driveshaft appears to be pinned to the driveshaft and to the worm gear input. The 30 is only pinned to the driveshaft. Before I start grinding rivets and driving them out, I wanted to see if anyone could tell me if this swap will work.
Not to mention having to disassemble the 30 torque tube etc......

Thanks, Bradshaw
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

The '30/'31 drive shaft and coupling are not interchangable with the '28/'29 drive shaft and coupling. The '28/'29 drive shaft and corresponding u-joint was changed in August '29 to have shallow splines. The six spline x 10 spline shallow spline u-joint is what is needed to install a '28/'29 Warford in a '30 AA.
Regards, Neil Wilson

29 Driveshaft

Post by CBradshaw »

I just couldn't wait to find out, so, yesterday I pulled the driveshaft from the 29. It was quite a bit longer than the 30 driveshaft and I believe the shaft diameter is bigger on the 29.

I have made the 30 driveshaft work with the "deep spline" u-joint by removing some of the material in the bottom of the grooves on the driveshaft. There was a thin raised area in the center of the spline groove. Once I ground that raised area flush, the u-joint slid right on.

Still had to pull the torque tube and shaft, but that was worth it.

Thanks Neil for the Reply,
Bradshaw