1930ish with BB cab

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bond___vagabond
Body Type: 131.5" flatbed
Model Year: 1930

1930ish with BB cab

Post by Bond___vagabond »

Hi All, thanks for all the good info, I just drug home what I believe to be a 1930 AA flatbed, with a BB cab, been working on my house pretty long hours, so progress on the AA has been has been slower than I'd like, hah, but hopefully I can get some traction today. I live in rural Vermont, so there are slow back roads everywhere, very old car friendly. I am a jack of all trades, been a machinist, wood boat builder, marine diesel mechanic, had a fancy lumber biz, done finish carpentry, sold firewood, did custom diesel conversions on classic 4x4's, etc. I've slowed down a bit since I got multiple sclerosis 7 years ago, but still fix up old junk for fun and to make a little extra cash, wife and I counted and stopped at 75 classic cars I've drug out of berry patches and got driving again, hah, pretty good for "only" 39 years old. my goal with the AA is for it to be sort of functional credentials, like if someone asks how good a mechanic/machinist I am, I show them my old Harley that doesn't leak oil, hah.

Now I'm on the prowl for a set of rear rims, and tires all around, I have some 1" white pine, milled on our little farm here, that I will use to deck the bed here soon. So far just started giving everything a drink of pb blaster every day or two.

It is 131.5" wheel base, doesn't have worm drive rear end but confused myself on weather there is two other kinds of rear end, bevel cut and ring and pinion, or if that's just different names for same rear end and there are two rear ends total. Definitely an A motor, 6 x/8" lug spacing, bb cab and dash but pretty sure AA steering column and radiator and hood. Has the cool spare tire divot in the driver's fender.
Attachments
PXL_20220106_004124628._exported_1641828563498.jpg
Bond___vagabond
Body Type: 131.5" flatbed

Re: 1930ish with BB cab

Post by Bond___vagabond »

Got some work done on the double A today, chipped a lot of frozen mud off, hah, and hit every bolt I could find with pb blaster. Verified I had a 4 speed, was a little tricky with it being stuck, but the 6 bolt pto was a giveaway. Are 6 bolt pto's standardized, will any of them fit? If not, what part number am I looking for?

Got rear end up on jack stands so I could verify rear hubs weren't rotted away, lucked out there. Was trying to figure out rim size, but shredded tire only divulged old timey 30 x 5 tire size. I think they are the later 20" dually style wheels, can anyone confirm from my pic?

Got a home milled 2x6 under driver's side of bed to replace the missing one. Amazing how much less worn out it looks after that, hah.

Got both doors to open, too well, gotta tie them shut now till I can get some springs for the latches.

That's about it, was putting a head gasket on my $600 m38 jeep at the same time. All my projects cost $600 apparently, hah.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Drain the oil and fill the crankcase to the top with diesel fuel and let it sit for a week. This will loosen up crud and allow it to be flushed out.
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

With that later cab, what does it use for a fuel tank? I can't imagine that there is enough vacuum to pull gas from a tank under the seat. Can you get us more photos?

Red
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Front rim appears to be 1930. A good side view of the fender and splash apron would give us a better guess,
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

It looks like you have the late '31 Budd built steel top cab (used from September 1931 to end of production). The rear end and rear suspension in your picture is still AA. The BB's rear suspension was completely different than the AA's.

Keith