1928 and 1929 bevel gear rear axles

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
oldnrusty1
Body Type: doodle bug
Model Year: 1928

1928 and 1929 bevel gear rear axles

Post by oldnrusty1 »

Hello,

Looking at a 1928 AA doodle bug for fun. It has AA front wire wheels that I like and it's in far better condition and more complete than most doodle bugs. I would just enjoy it and tinker with for a while but there is another fella who has a 28/29 bevel gear AA rear axle with wire wheels. Minimum I would like to get the wheels. What can you tell me about the 28/29 bevel gear rear axles, are there any replacement parts for them? Doesn't appear to have the emergency brakes, how hard would it be to retrofit a set? Are there any high speed bevel gear sets?? I might be tempted in the future to return it to kind of original length.

Thanks for the help.
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Re: 1928 and 1929 bevel gear rear axles

Post by Reds34 »

oldnrusty1,

Are you referring to the bevel gear that looks like a car rear end, just much larger and heavier? If so, I don't believe there are much of any parts that switch over to the 30-31 bevel rear axle, but could be mistaken. Those rear axles are quite uncommon, if not rare, especially when they are complete. There is one at my parents house, but it is missing the torque tube, driveshaft and radius rods. Pictures are always good.

Red
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Re: 1928 and 1929 bevel gear rear axles

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

The early AA bevel gear is completely different than the later '30-'31 type. No parts will interchange. These rears were made like the smaller "A" rears (only in a larger version) and were available in a low speed (stamped with an "A" for the low speed version or a "B" for the high speed one) on top of the center section where the torque tube bolts to it. I was able to find all the bearings and all the races except one online from various vendors. It does use the '30-'32 radius rods and wheel bearings though. It is much heavier (weight wise) than the other "AA" rears too. Just finished rebuilding one for my current project.

Keith