Spring perches

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Shiloh8548
Body Type: 195-a
Model Year: 1931

Spring perches

Post by Shiloh8548 »

Can anyone tell me if the spring perches are the same as a regular A? I have some new spring perches for a regular A but don’t want to knock my old ones out only to find out that the ones I have won’t fit. Someone put new bushings in these before I got it but looks like the perches were either badly worn or the didn’t have the right tools to do the job….Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Re: Spring perches

Post by Bob C »

Model A perches won't work on AA.
Shiloh8548

Post by Shiloh8548 »

Bob C wrote:Model A perches won't work on AA.
Thanks Bob!

Shiloh8548

Post by Shiloh8548 »

Shiloh8548 wrote:Can anyone tell me if the spring perches are the same as a regular A? I have some new spring perches for a regular A but don’t want to knock my old ones out only to find out that the ones I have won’t fit. Someone put new bushings in these before I got it but looks like the perches were either badly worn or the didn’t have the right tools to do the job….Image

Anyone know of a way to maybe try and repair these? I was thinking if I could get a brass rod the same size as the INside diameter and then build the metal with a welder and afterwords file down. Anyone ever try something like this? Any ideas are welcome!

Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Shiloh8548 wrote:
February 14th, 2022, 2:39 pm
Can anyone tell me if the spring perches are the same as a regular A? I have some new spring perches for a regular A but don’t want to knock my old ones out only to find out that the ones I have won’t fit. Someone put new bushings in these before I got it but looks like the perches were either badly worn or the didn’t have the right tools to do the job….Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only difference between the A and AA spring perches is the location of the ball for connecting the shock linkage (the AA ball is a little higher) – see the attached.
Attachments
A-AA spring perch 72ppi.jpg
A-AA spring perch 72ppi.jpg (89.19 KiB) Viewed 22493 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Shiloh8548 wrote: Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anyone know of a way to maybe try and repair these? I was thinking if I could get a brass rod the same size as the INside diameter and then build the metal with a welder and afterwords file down. Anyone ever try something like this? Any ideas are welcome! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your repair idea should work well.
Regards, Neil Wilson
AAholic
Body Type: 82-B

Post by AAholic »

Anyone know of a way to maybe try and repair these? I was thinking if I could get a brass rod the same size as the INside diameter and then build the metal with a welder and afterwords file down. Anyone ever try something like this? Any ideas are welcome!
I'd probably go with the repair but I'd use some copper tubing to back up the weld, way easier to remove than a solid rod, you'd no doubt need to ream or at least file out the hole afterwards.

Otherwise I've got a good set of used 30/31 perches if need be.
Shiloh8548

Post by Shiloh8548 »

AAholic wrote:
I'd probably go with the repair but I'd use some copper tubing to back up the weld, way easier to remove than a solid rod, you'd no doubt need to ream or at least file out the hole afterwards.

Otherwise I've got a good set of used 30/31 perches if need be.
How much would you want for those perches? I’ve had success with building weld before but at the same time I’ve had some experiences where things don’t go as planned when adding heat to metal. It weakens the metal and with something that will have quite a bit of tension and weight on it, I’m a bit concerned about how well things will hold up.

AAholic

Post by AAholic »

How much would you want for those perches? I’ve had success with building weld before but at the same time I’ve had some experiences where things don’t go as planned when adding heat to metal. It weakens the metal and with something that will have quite a bit of tension and weight on it, I’m a bit concerned about how well things will hold up.
How about $40. plus shipping for the pair?
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

The 28/29 perches are different than 30/31 and won't interchange
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

28/29 and 3031 perches are different
Shiloh8548

Post by Shiloh8548 »

AAholic wrote:
How about $40. plus shipping for the pair?
I’ll take them! How do I go about getting the funds to you?

AAholic

Post by AAholic »

I'll PM you, it could take me a few days to get to them.
Shiloh8548

Post by Shiloh8548 »

AAholic wrote:I'll PM you, it could take me a few days to get to them.
Ok sounds good

AAholic

Post by AAholic »

I sent you a PM, behold the perches, not NOS but decent.IMHO
Attachments
IMG_2562.JPG