AA Frame Welt

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Rumbler
Body Type: 82-A Stakebed
Model Year: 1928

AA Frame Welt

Post by Rumbler »

In the latest issue of the Restorer magazine, there is an article about installing frame welt. The author states that the AA's used 2" x 1/8" frame welt, versus 1-3/4" x 1/16" for passenger A's. I hadn't heard this before and I'm not sure it makes sense since the webbing is only used from the front of the fender to where the splash shield leaves the frame. And this is the narrow portion of the frame.

Here's what I found on AAfords.com:
>>> Front fender on-frame/frame-brackets webbing -This webbing was used between the frame/frame-brackets and front-fenders/shields. The webbing was 3/46″ to 1/16″ thick by 1-3/4″ wide. It extended from the front edge of the fenders reward to where the shields left the frame. For the AA’s, the shields left the frame at the front body brackets. Pieces of this webbing were used between the shield and on-frame hood clip brackets as well as the on-frame body brackets. <<<

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks,
Brian
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: AA Frame Welt

Post by Neil Wilson »

Rumbler wrote:
March 3rd, 2022, 9:02 am
In the latest issue of the Restorer magazine, there is an article about installing frame welt. The author states that the AA's used 2" x 1/8" frame welt, versus 1-3/4" x 1/16" for passenger A's. I hadn't heard this before and I'm not sure it makes sense since the webbing is only used from the front of the fender to where the splash shield leaves the frame. And this is the narrow portion of the frame.

Here's what I found on AAfords.com:
>>> Front fender on-frame/frame-brackets webbing -This webbing was used between the frame/frame-brackets and front-fenders/shields. The webbing was 3/46″ to 1/16″ thick by 1-3/4″ wide. It extended from the front edge of the fenders reward to where the shields left the frame. For the AA’s, the shields left the frame at the front body brackets. Pieces of this webbing were used between the shield and on-frame hood clip brackets as well as the on-frame body brackets. <<<

Can anyone else confirm this? Thanks,Brian
Hello All,
I can not remember/determine where I got the AAFords.com information (I should have documented a reference). I can not find information in the RGJS on frame welt (anyone know where or if it is in this document?). I can not determine the Ford name for this welt. Anyone know? It is not welt. There is RUNNING BOARD SHIELD TO FRAME ANTI-SQUEAK - FRONT A-16540. There is RUNNING BOARD SHIELD TO FRONT BODY BRACKET - ANTI-SQUEAK A-16452. I can not find any anti-squeak for the front fender to frame.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Re: AA Frame Welt

Post by Bob C »

Since the AA frame is the same width as the A frame until a few inches behind the
rear motor mount and most of the splash apron does not sit on the frame I don't
see any need for 2" welt.