emergency brake lever bushing replacement

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
wild4679
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

emergency brake lever bushing replacement

Post by wild4679 »

I'm trying to remove the rear emergency brake lever and two piece brass bushing in my 31AA. This bushing pair is shown in the Snyders catalog as Part AA-2644-A. Like most parts to remove, this one doesn't budge. The difference is the brake lever appears to remain in the radius arm casting until the bushings are removed. What is the trick to remove these bushings, as well as replace with the new bushings?
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Re: emergency brake lever bushing replacement

Post by David R. »

Ideally you should be able to remove cotter pin, knock out pin in coupling and slide lever shaft and bushings out together; but on most of the ones I have disassembled the shaft was seized in the coupling and required heat and force. I completely rebuilt my axle so I had the advantage of disassembling everything on shop floor. You might have to shim bushings in radius rod hole going back in. I did on one.
wild4679
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Post by wild4679 »

Thanks Dave. I am not proud of it, but I drove out the brass inserts with a big hammer and a small screwdriver. As a novice with these ancient rebuilds, I hesitate to hit something really hard and then discover there is a keeper hiding or the piece is actually threaded in.

I see in the brake levers there is a hole in the elbow joint that appears to be a lubrication point. Is this hole supposed to take a grease fitting, or is it simply for an oil can spout to squirt oil into?
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Post by David R. »

I think it should have grease fitting