drive line removal from rear axle

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
wild4679
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

drive line removal from rear axle

Post by wild4679 »

I'm going to have a rear end shop refurbish the inside of the rear axle on my 31 AA. I've been reading about the upper torque tube restoration and will tackle that myself.

My question for the group is, "When the torque tube is unbolted from the rear axle, does the drive line come out with the torque tube, or is there keepers inside the axle that must be removed first? If there are keepers, are they removed through the now exposed torque tube mount, or must the side(s) of the axle(s) be removed first?"

Thanks in advance for your guidance.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Re: drive line removal from rear axle

Post by Bob C »

Sounds like you need to get a copy of the Service Bulletins and a parts book.
https://www.amazon.com/Service-Bulletin ... 134&sr=8-3
1930_01-fig_827-1024x768.png
emf
Body Type: Firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Post by emf »

To answer your question, yes, there is a splined coupling that connects the drive shaft to the worm drive with two pins. remove one of the pins and slide the drive shaft from the rear end.

Frank
wild4679
Body Type: 82B

Post by wild4679 »

Thank you, Frank. My 31 has what I believe is the newer bevel gear differential. You referred to a worm drive in your answer. Is there a worm gear as part of a bevel gear differential?
emf
Body Type: Firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Post by emf »

I mistakenly referenced a worm drive rear end, but your bevel gear rear end seems to have one also.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (91.98 KiB) Viewed 15562 times
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

On the worm drive rears a splined coupling had two pins, one to fasten it to the worm and another to fasten it to the driveshaft. When the bevel gear rears came out in the beginning of 1930 the driveshaft was riveted to the splined coupling with one rivet and the other end of the splined coupling was left to slide freely on the pinion shaft. With this setup, since the driveshaft could freely float back and forth a little, a special u-joint with a collar in the front of the back half was used to keep the driveshaft from sliding too far forward then. A drawing of this shown in the January 1930 Service Bulletins. Also make sure at the back of the 4-speed transmission that the special cone shaped bolt and spring is used.

Keith
gunmetal 2
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by gunmetal 2 »

Mine with worm gear I had to heat up the coupling red hot to get the drive shaft and worm shaft apart. One pin some times tapered the other is straight.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Post by David R. »

You should be able to just unbolt torque tube and radius rods and slide off. I think the coupling is only pinned to drive shaft on yours