Dual high endplay?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Luke McLeod
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Dual high endplay?

Post by Luke McLeod »

I know that I really don't want to know the answer, but ... How much endplay (front to back) is acceptable for the output of a dual high? I'm getting more than 1/8" and the previous u-joint shows fresh signs of contact with the torque tube. Retainer bolt is tight. Thanks. Luke

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Re: Dual high endplay?

Post by Stakebed »

End play as in if one were to grab the U joint and push and pull it parallel to the frame?

I dont remember any when i restored my "round case" 29. I can verify with a good round case dual high i have sitting in my shed tomorrow.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

Just checked, it does have about 1/8 in play. Are you sure your using the correct u joint and have all the stuff in the right order in the torque tube/driveshaft?

Also are you using float a motor mounts or factory? Since the dual high fits in the splined uhh cup it can move backwards too far as well causing the u joint to hit. Factory rear engine mounts keep the whole engine trans dual high assembly from moving and the only thing keeping the whole thing from moving back.
Luke McLeod
Body Type: 82A

Post by Luke McLeod »

We'll, dad might have left a part out. And he did. All is reassembled and in good order now. Thanks for the response.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk