Rear spring seat pin removal

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
wild4679
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Rear spring seat pin removal

Post by wild4679 »

I'm rebuilding the rear springs in my '31 AA. New bushings and pins all around. I have removed the tapered keeper pin AA-5798 and now want to remove the spring seat pin AA-5799. This is the pin that connects the upper spring seat to the leaf spring. Is this seat pin AA-5799 a tapered pin? With the pin going through the two ears of the upper spring seat, I can see potential for breaking one of these ears when pressing out the pin. At the first attempt, I heated the upper spring seat casting and pounded the pin from the end without the aligning groove. While I'm used to parts not moving the first time, this has me concerned of breaking the casting.

At this writing I'm letting the parts soak up penetrating oil. What are folks' experience with successful removal of this pin?
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Re: Rear spring seat pin removal

Post by David R. »

Once tapered pin is out the main pin should drive out in theory. Trouble is they typically want to hang up on the wear grooves. If you can get it up against a solid backing and drive from thin side with brass drift. Careful not to distort pin and make it harder to get out.I pulled whole springs off.