Front End Adjustments

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
markp213
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Front End Adjustments

Post by markp213 »

Forgive me in advance for not knowing the correct terminology of the following…

My 1931 AA had the death wobble going on and I discovered the front bearings were both loose. I tightened them both and it corrected the problem for the most part, until I drive over a rough patch of road. The bearings both seem to be seated properly (no wobble top to bottom of the wheels), but I noticed there is play in the steering spindle at the castle nut in the picture. I pulled the cotter pin and tightened the nut, which fixed the play, but now I can’t get the pin back in. When I try to back the nut off, the whole spindle rotates with the nut.

Am I possibly screwing up the toe-in by the spindle rotating? If I back the nut off to fit the cotter pin, the wheel wobbles left to right. If I tighten the nut it fixes the wobble, but then I can’t get the pin in the hole.

I hope that made sense. Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated!

Mark P.
Attachments
F269AF10-8EEE-4F65-937C-0B2B24064743.jpeg
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Re: Front End Adjustments

Post by Bob C »

The steering arm has a flat side that should fit into the spindle to keep it from rotating.
You could sand or grind a little off of the back side of nut so it will turn a little more to install the cotter pin.
double steering arm.jpg
markp213
Body Type: 82B

Re: Front End Adjustments

Post by markp213 »

Thank you Bob. I did not know that about the flat edge. I will check into this - and sand down the nut a bit.