Body block rubber pad confusion

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Body block rubber pad confusion

Post by Stakebed »

EDIT THis is for a 29 closed cab.

So i bought the catalog reproduction wood body block set and have coated in preservative. I have also bought the rubber pad set and have gotten a bit confused:

The catalog rubber is about 1/8" thick and when placed in the middle body block groove it is flush with the wood - is it supposed to be or is it supposed to stick up a tad? im afraid when its bolted down it will "bottom out" on the wood and the rubber will be useless. Ive also wondered if the A vs AA body blocks would be different as the rubber pad should span the width of the top of the frame rail right? Isnt the A vs AA frame narrower?

I have read numerous posts on here and other sites suggesting to use conveyor belt material as it has cloth impregnated in the rubber so it doesnt squish out. I like this idea alot but what i can find material wise or what has been suggested seems to be at least twice as thick as what the catalogs sell or thicker.

Also in the Les Andrews red book they show no rubber pad between the front mount and the splash apron but the catalogs sell it in the rubber kit (3 hole dog leg shaped piece about a foot long)... Is there one used or not? I know the wood slides in the subframe extension but something's gotta go between the steel of the subframe extension and the splash apron right?

This whole goal is because im approaching the time to replace all the rood in the cab and ive heard it needs to be bolted to the frame first before playing with the top wood/doors to make sure everything is going to fit right. I wont have the aprons mounted or the welting down on the frame but those shouldnt matter as all of it would just raise the cab up evenly when they are in place.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Body block rubber pad confusion

Post by Neil Wilson »

In my experience, vendor-sold pads without reinforcements, are of little value. They squash down when body bolts are tightened making body alignment impossible and the pad thickness is of little importance. Reinforced pads do not compress. Multiples can be used for body shimming. I would recommend not shimming the front bolt (use one pad only if possible) – affects hood alignment.

I have found that the center body block must have the notch (at bottom of block) lengthened for the AA frame.

As far as I know, there is a pad between the cab and running board shield (yes, 3-hole dog-leg shaped pad). That applies to the A and AA.

For the AA, the frame weld ends where the shield leaves the frame (about at the hinge pillar). The center and rear body blocks may require extra pads to align the doors. I have seen center body blocks with two pads installed (looked original to me). Adding a shim(s) under the hinge pillar seems to be a common requirement to get the doors in alignment.

I have not found the Ford names for the wood blocks and pads. Consequently, Ford engineering drawings can not be found. Anyone knowing the part ids and/or part names, please provide. I have not found documentation regarding body blocks and pads.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Stakebed »

Neil Wilson wrote:
July 31st, 2022, 12:56 pm
In my experience, vendor-sold pads without reinforcements, are of little value. They squash down when body bolts are tightened making body alignment impossible and the pad thickness is of little importance. Reinforced pads do not compress. Multiples can be used for body shimming. I would recommend not shimming the front bolt (use one pad only if possible) – affects hood alignment.

I have found that the center body block must have the notch (at bottom of block) lengthened for the AA frame.

As far as I know, there is a pad between the cab and running board shield (yes, 3-hole dog-leg shaped pad). That applies to the A and AA.

For the AA, the frame weld ends where the shield leaves the frame (about at the hinge pillar). The center and rear body blocks may require extra pads to align the doors. I have seen center body blocks with two pads installed (looked original to me). Adding a shim(s) under the hinge pillar seems to be a common requirement to get the doors in alignment.

I have not found the Ford names for the wood blocks and pads. Consequently, Ford engineering drawings can not be found. Anyone knowing the part ids and/or part names, please provide. I have not found documentation regarding body blocks and pads.
Gotcha on the pads and i will try to find the reinforced stuff. I take it you would recommend finding reinforced 1/8" thick stuff?

ALso when you say only using one pad on the front bolt - does this count as the big dog leg pad?

I thought that center block notch would be awfully tight but looks like it would fit.

As i mentioned im getting the body blocks ready to mount the cab on the frame so i can put all the wood (including door posts) in the cab. How would you Neil begin this endeavor? Ive checked my frame rails and they are flat as a pancake and very square.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Stakebed wrote:
July 31st, 2022, 6:12 pm

Gotcha on the pads and i will try to find the reinforced stuff. I take it you would recommend finding reinforced 1/8" thick stuff?

ALso when you say only using one pad on the front bolt - does this count as the big dog leg pad?

I thought that center block notch would be awfully tight but looks like it would fit.

As i mentioned im getting the body blocks ready to mount the cab on the frame so i can put all the wood (including door posts) in the cab. How would you Neil begin this endeavor? Ive checked my frame rails and they are flat as a pancake and very square.
I don't think the pad thickness is that important (1/8—3/16 should work).

Yes, the dog-leg pad is pad #1.

I think the cab should be built off the frame as a complete unit (as was done originally). When the cab is bolted to the frame with padded body blocks it can be determine what shimming is required.

FYI – I have an uncompleted document "82-A Body Wood.docx" (done years ago) which I will email. Request via email to neil@aafords.com.

See 82-A cab build at Budd Manufacturing photo below.
Attachments
Vince - Ford Garage Budd 82-A 1 crop 1.jpg
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Stakebed »

I think the cab should be built off the frame as a complete unit (as was done originally).

While i agree - they did have some pretty stout fixtures to keep everything square that wont be easy to replicate. Also in your picture does anyone know what the "spark plug" looking things are sticking off the top of the wood? Some kind of alignment pegs/posts? Just curious.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Stakebed wrote:
August 1st, 2022, 4:39 pm

While i agree - they did have some pretty stout fixtures to keep everything square that wont be easy to replicate. Also in your picture does anyone know what the "spark plug" looking things are sticking off the top of the wood? Some kind of alignment pegs/posts? Just curious.
Sorry, I don't know what the "spark plug" looking things are. I have only seen the photograph and not documentation.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Hayslip »

"Body blocks" are called "filler blocks" in Ford terminology. They have Ford part numbers. See Ford service Bulletins for August 1930 page 483 fig 959. This example is part A40081-AR which is replaced by A40081-B. if this message is a duplicate delete one of them. Best, Ed Hayslip
Hayslip
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hayslip wrote:
August 2nd, 2022, 7:39 am
"Body blocks" are called "filler blocks" in Ford terminology. They have Ford part numbers. See Ford service Bulletins for August 1930 page 483 fig 959. This example is part A40081-AR which is replaced by A40081-B. if this message is a duplicate delete one of them. Best, Ed Hayslip
Thank you Ed,
also found:
"rubber pad" is called "anti-squeak" in Ford terminology. Example:
A-35242 floor side sill front to frame - anti-squeak is the pad under the cowl (vehicles with left hand brake)
A-35242-B floor side sill front to frame - anti-squeak is the pad under the cowl (vehicles with center hand brake)
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Stakebed »

Update for people:
i found this sheet rubber that looks like it will work:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubber-Cal- ... /303197213

They have free site to store delivery fyi.

Description:
Cloth-Inserted Rubber Sheet" is made with durable styrene butadiene rubber, also known as SBR rubber. Styrene butadiene rubber is an affordable elastomer with good abrasion resistant qualities. The secret to the heavy-duty qualities of this rubber sheet is the cloth inserted into the material. Per 1/16 inch of thickness you will find on ply of fabric, hence the 1/16 version is 1-ply, the 1/8 thick is 2-ply and so forth. The addition of the fabric reinforces the rubber to prevent stretching and ultimately adds tear strength for fastening applications.

Sounds like what I/we need! FYI no idea but a 3'x1' chunk is the same price as the 3'x2' chunk both are 1/8" thick...$18 something so might as well order the 2 foot chunk lol.

Company who made it site:
https://www.rubbercal.com/heavy-duty-ru ... r-70a.html