Changing Tires ?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
GeraldJ

Changing Tires ?

Post by GeraldJ »

I am a total newbie to AA trucks. I recently purchased a 1929 that is an older restoration in pretty good shape except for the bed which I am working on now. I find that I need to replace the two front tires. My truck has the dish type wheels rather than the spoke type. I was wondering what the procedure is for removing and installing a tire on this type of rim? It appears that it is simply a matter of deflating the old tire, using a flat bar to insert into the lock ring notch to pry one end lose and then work around the rim to remove the ring....then slide the tire off. I imagine it is much harder than my description and was wondering if someone could give me some guidance or point me to a website that can? I know that newer rims with lock rings can be dangerous to inflate and just don't want to make a mistake that might damage the rim...or me! :) Thanks for all the help and thanks for having a website for AA collectors!

Gerald Johnson
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B
Model Year: 1930

Re: Changing Tires ?

Post by mikeg »

Hello Gerald,

Take care when removing the split ring, try not to gall or damage it when prying it out. You will need two "spoons" to remove the ring, probably the quickest and safest way to have your tires replaced is to take both the new tires and old tire/rims to the local les schwab or similar and let the pro's do it.

When they re-inflate the tire to seat the bead they will use a tire cage and a remote air valve to inflate the tire. There is NO other way to do this safely.

I have a cage and all the proper tools to do this since my previous occupation was in the fuel transport business and I managed a fleet of 18 wheelers. I changed tires all the time but let me tell you it is NO fun when one of those bad boys goes BLAM! and that split ring flies of the rim and rattles around the cage, scares the crap out of ya!

Tools you would need to do this yourself (safely) are:

1) bead buster (a 5 to 6' long slide hammer)
2) split rim tire irons (spoons)
3) tire cage
4) clip on air chuck with remote air valve

Sometimes when the bead buster wouldn't break the tire from the rim we would drive over the edge of the tire with another truck to break the bead loose from the rim (deflated of course) that usually did the trick.

My advice would be to take it to a tire shop though they will fix you up!

GeraldJ wrote:I am a total newbie to AA trucks. I recently purchased a 1929 that is an older restoration in pretty good shape except for the bed which I am working on now. I find that I need to replace the two front tires. My truck has the dish type wheels rather than the spoke type. I was wondering what the procedure is for removing and installing a tire on this type of rim? It appears that it is simply a matter of deflating the old tire, using a flat bar to insert into the lock ring notch to pry one end lose and then work around the rim to remove the ring....then slide the tire off. I imagine it is much harder than my description and was wondering if someone could give me some guidance or point me to a website that can? I know that newer rims with lock rings can be dangerous to inflate and just don't want to make a mistake that might damage the rim...or me! :) Thanks for all the help and thanks for having a website for AA collectors!

Gerald Johnson
GeraldJ

Changing Tires

Post by GeraldJ »

Thanks Mike,
I was hoping the older ones were easier to change than the modern ones but from what you have said, it is apparent they can be just as dangerous. I guess I'll take your advice and take them to a tire shop.
Thanks again for the help.

Gerald
bgarrett

tire change

Post by bgarrett »

I saw a suggestion that you can wrap chain around the tire, split ring, and thru the holes in the rim and mount them safely. Thats what I intend to do. Of course, fasten the ends of the chain.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Re: tire change

Post by mikeg »

bgarrett wrote:I saw a suggestion that you can wrap chain around the tire, split ring, and thru the holes in the rim and mount them safely. Thats what I intend to do. Of course, fasten the ends of the chain.
Don't forget to use a clip on type air chuck that you can operate from a few feet away. Even when the bead seats it can snap pretty loudly, I always feel better if I'm clear of the face of the tire and can inflate remotely.

Also, if you have trouble getting the bead to seat, remove the core from the valve stem, that allows more air to enter the tire and that helps to seat the bead.
manyolkars

that 'pop'

Post by manyolkars »

I admit that every time a tire 'pops onto a rim, it scares me even tho I know its gonna do it.