Early Production 28 AA

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
emf
Body Type: Firetruck
Model Year: 1928

Early Production 28 AA

Post by emf »

I’d like a little help narrowing down the production date for this AA firetruck. The original engine was not in the truck when I bought it and the registration shows the VIN as the current engine number. I have documentation that indicates this truck was delivered to New South Berlin FD, South New Berlin, NY, in March of 1928 from Howe Fire Apparatus, so this is real early. Ford would have had to build this at least a month earlier, in order for Howe to deliver by March. Here are a few things I know about the truck.

1. Left hand brake lever. No separate emergency brake shoes.
2. 3-speed transmission with 131 ½” wheelbase, 5.17:1 gear ratio.
3. Frame is AA-5005 d1 (4 cross members).
4. Coupe pillar with door hinge recesses never drilled.

I’ve been told by the AA Postal Wagon Club that the folding windshield is a hard to find Canadian offering and not aftermarket. The tables on the AA Fords web site indicates it is a 75A chassis, but no indication how many were manufactured in the early months, only the total throughout production. Is there any information that would indicate how many of these were built in the first 3 months of 1928?

Thanks, Frank
Attachments
IMG_4296a.jpg
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Early Production 28 AA

Post by Chris Haynes »

Perhaps the New South Berlin FD would have some documentation in their archives.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The 75a did not get released by Ford until 1931. It was a chassis seat not a chassis.
Your a would have been produced as a chassis and would not have included the hinge pillars nor the windshield. That would most likely have been provided by the independent body supplier.
Regards, Neil Wilson
emf

Post by emf »

I guess I missed that... The 75A was introduced in 1931. The page on AA-Fords labeled AA-Chassis shows a total production of 219247 as total production. Is there any info on how many were made during the first 3-4 months of production? Thanks, Neil.

Frank
Hayslip

Post by Hayslip »

Search "Canadian Model A Ford Foundation". Click on "Research".Scroll down to last item. See August 24, 1929 sport roadster with folding windshield posts. Click on image of posts which will enlarge them. There are 3 images (1)in kit form (2)front (3) back. Compare these with the ones on the fire truck. If they don't match you have after market posts. Also note the headlights on the fire truck are not early 1928 and the bumper is a May 1928 or newer item and the radiator shell is car. My suggestion: ENJOY THIS SPLENDID TRUCK AS IS. Best, Ed Hayslip
Hayslip
emf

Post by emf »

Thanks for the information... I just received this morning an old photo of the very truck from the New South Berlin FD. Included in the photo are bright headlights, chrome bumper, and chrome radiator shell, and appear to be the same as those on the truck. Unfortunately, the photo is too fuzzy in the area of the windshield to see if it is the same, but at first glance it is not, so the windshield may have been added after the photo was taken. Also, there is no information as to the date of the photo. The windshield, according to the information that you provided, appears to be the Canadian version, since it matches the data on the web site. I don't have any info on the aftermarket windshield posts. It was my understanding that on the early models, everything from the cowl forward was taken from the car and not unique to truck, or an I also misinformed about that. Thanks for the help on this...

Frank