Warford Auxiliary Transmission

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Warford Auxiliary Transmission

Post by David R. »

I posted a question on a couple different places. Perhaps someone here has some information. I just picked up a 3
speed Warford transmission. It looks to be in overall very good condition. It is over-under-direct-nuetral. I have a 1930 AA with a 4 speed I would like to put it in but will need more information on how it mounts and is connected.
Anyone here have any experience with them?
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

Re: Warford Auxiliary Transmission

Post by Bradshaw »

Hello David,

I had an Early 30 AA several years ago with a 4 speed transmission.

I found a Warford under-direct-overdrive auxiliary transmission and installed it in the truck.

I used parts from a donor chassis that had the dual-high underdrive.

There was a special go-around or curved brake shaft that makes clearance for the dual high or Warford unit.

The photo below shows this shaft toward the front crossmember as it clears the dual high auxiliary transmission in the donor chassis.
AA Truck 004.jpg

Another part from the donor chassis was a bracket that bolted to the second crossmember in this photo that engages the teeth on the outside of the dual high auxiliary transmission to hold it in place and keep it from spinning when torque is applied. This bracket will work with the Warford too.
CouplingShaftRearSupport.jpg
I can't remember all the details with the brake rods, but I had the originals and those from the earlier donor chassis to get everything connected.

The last part I sourced through this website was a u-joint to mate the 4 speed output to the Warford input, again I don't remember details but the splines were different from the 4 speed output to the Warford input.

Disclaimer, not all of these photos were taken by me, and the file names for these two u-joints say 4 speed to dual-high, so I am not sure these are what you need, but the concept is the same, splines are different between the two transmissions.

I'm sure some others will help with the specifics on the u-joint you will need.

Bradshaw
Attachments
U-joint4-speedtoDualHigh2.jpg
U-joint4-speedtoDualHigh1.jpg
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Hello David,
I found that there were two different sizes of input splines on the Warford transmissions. One probably for use behind the Model A three-speed transmission and another for the four-speed. Luckily I got the complete setup for the use behind the 4-speed. It came with a special internal splined sleeve that slipped on the front of the Warford and also fit the coupling shaft male gear AA-4811 that fits the output shaft of the four-speed transmission. Inside of this splined coupling, two snap-ring grooves were cut into the splines. These snap-rings kept the coupling sleeve from sliding too far in either direction.

One of my other Warfords has the smaller size input splines that I believe is the same as the three-speed Model A transmission output splines. I did find a u-joint that fit, but not sure if that what was used for that configuration.

I may consider having a machine-shop duplicate some of the splined couplings I mentioned in my first paragraph if there is any interest.

Keith Ernst
David R.

Post by David R. »

Keith, I have the proper U-joint on input side that fits 4 speed output, unfortunately one of the bushings on the spider is missing. I think the output shaft is same as the A 3 speed output, but I don’t have any A stuff to campare it to. I have a couple leads on u-joints but nothing has arrived yet.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

I think the u-joint you need for the output of the Warford if it is from a 1928-29 is 1 1/8" 6 spline X 1 1/4" 10 spline.
David R.

Post by David R. »

I think you are correct. Now to get one in my hands.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

I think the part number is AA-7090-AR.
David R.

Post by David R. »

Good to know.