Transmission Cluster Shaft Removal

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Pete Hagstrand
Body Type: 88A
Model Year: 1930

Transmission Cluster Shaft Removal

Post by Pete Hagstrand »

Which direction do you remove the Cluster shaft? Sorry. I know I'm over thinking this. I am getting conflicting information about removing a stuck cluster gear shaft. I will have to resort to a press and I don't want to go the wrong way and break the case. I understand the shaft is smaller at one end to make for a tight fit when seated. Can't get a good measurement with it assembled.

The Les Andrew book (3 speed cars tranny), as well as the Jim Schild AA Truck supplement book (4 speed truck), say to slide it it OUT by tapping towards the front. ie: tap at the back end that is notched for the retainer bar. In this case it would only come out, forwards, towards the flat side that is machined for the bell housing, and only when the bell housing is removed. Seems odd to me? I'll call this plan A.

Yet on you tube, George Bell slides the shaft effortlessly with his fingers the opposite direction. (3 speed car tranny). I'll call this plan B.

I need advise from an authority on 4 speed AA transmissions. My club is having a "wrench it" meeting for this but they are all speed car guys. And yes, I'm exhausted.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Re: Transmission Cluster Shaft Removal

Post by David R. »

It is supposed to be easier to go out front as back hole was supposed to be machined a fraction smaller
Pete Hagstrand
Body Type: 88A

Post by Pete Hagstrand »

I'm responding to my own post here.
I'm going with plan A
I found some service bulletins correcting some inaccurate photos.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

I follow Jim Schild’s plan on transmission, when I did mine.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

The 1949-51 Ford Shop Manual for F series trucks, which used the same transmission, says "Working from
the forward end of the transmission case, drive the countershaft out of the case."
Also I looked at a new countershaft I have and you can see the last about one inch of the shaft which is
at the rear of the transmission is about .003" larger.