Reballing steering arms

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Reds34
Body Type: dump
Model Year: 1930

Reballing steering arms

Post by Reds34 »

Does anyone know who can install new balls on steering arms for a '34 BB? From what I can tell, the arms are the same as AA, except for the pitman arm. It looks like Snyders has the double arm for an exchange, but the single arm is out of stock. I have yet to talk to Snyders to see what they say. I also posted this on Fordbarn to see what those guys say.

Thank you,

Red
rustya1928
Body Type: 89
Model Year: 1928

Re: Reballing steering arms

Post by rustya1928 »

Hi:
I sent my arms to Snyder's and they did them just fine. I have had several sets done. Just make sure you clean them of grease and dirt before you send.
Reds34

Post by Reds34 »

If any of you guys are wondering, Snyder's no longer reballs the big truck arms, Berts does not currently do the big trucks as the guy they use is a few months behind, and Brattons does not offer the service either. I may call Tams to see what he says. Any other ideas?

Red
Reds34

Post by Reds34 »

I called Tams yesterday, it sounds like his guy can do them. I need to head to my parents house to find some better candidates for rebuild because the ones I set aside years ago are too worn on the shaft. I also called Schwalms today. They are also a no-go.

Of two of the places I talked to, they suggested A&L. The unfortunate thing is I talked to them in around 2011 and they said to send them over. It's a darn shame that I never did.

Red
Ford Truck Nut
Model Year: 1928

Post by Ford Truck Nut »

I ordered new balls from Bert’s and put my own on.8 cut the ball off and had a machine shop bore the hole so it was a press fit. Then I pressed them in and left the extra shank hanging out and welded them with the wire feed on the bottom and on the top side under the ball. Couple minutes with the flap wheel and it turned out great
"Bear Down, try Hard, and never quit, NEVER"
Tuff Headman