AA wheel manufacturing

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Rumbler
Body Type: 82-A Stakebed
Model Year: 1928

AA wheel manufacturing

Post by Rumbler »

I'm in the process of restoring the wheels for my E28 AA project and just got them back from the blaster. I don't see any seam in the rim like on the car wheels, so I'm just curious if anyone knows how the AA rims were manufactured.

Brian
elfox
Body Type: 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Re: AA wheel manufacturing

Post by elfox »

Can you post a picture of the rims you have?
Dave
Port Orchard, WA
Rumbler

Post by Rumbler »

After a more detailed inspection I have found marks indicating that the wheel rims were rolled and then butt welded. Actually quite nice work given the early stage of welding technology available. Pictures of three of the joints below.

Brian
2023-03-21 16.12.56 (1).jpg
2023-03-21 12.19.34 (1).jpg
2023-03-22 16.04.47.jpg
jmcpherson
Body Type: chassis

Post by jmcpherson »

Hello Rumbler,
I am restoring an E28 AA chassis, with the cowl, hood, fenders, etc sold by Ford to Independent Body Builders. I do not have a cab or platform, but I have located a very nice late 28 platform. If I find a cab, I'll make it a platform truck. I have also located a 28 AA chassis with wire wheels, but have not bought it. I am not sure if it has enough parts that I could use to make it worth while. I am having a problem finding parts for the E28 AA chassis, and even the early A parts that are common to the E28 car chassis, like powerhouse generator mounting parts and a fan shroud. The front crossmember has been changed on my chassis and I am having a difficult time finding the correct solid front motor mount. From the picturesw of your wheels, your chassis must be in very good shape, no pitting on the wheels. I am located near Augusta, GA. Maybe we could help each other find needed parts?
Best Regards,

Jim McPherson
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Post by David R. »

I have one of the early timing case covers from a 28 engine if anyone needs it.
Rumbler

Post by Rumbler »

Jim,
Yes, I was fortunate that the wheels on my truck were in pretty good shape. I've been working on my truck for about 4 years and can see the finish line. Sounds like you're just getting started. I've done a lot of swap meets, rummaging around junk yards, and probably most importantly had a lot of help from others to find the parts I need! I might be able to help you out. Make sure your wheels are the Design 1 version if your truck is an early '28. The RG&JS describes the difference in the hub that came with Design 2 in mid-1928.

Send me a PM to discuss further if you like.

Brian