Trans operation help needed !!!!

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
toolhawk1
Model Year: 1930

Trans operation help needed !!!!

Post by toolhawk1 »

Ok real simple here HELP!!! , When I got my 29 the shifter was never right, the handle was very loose , took trans top off and the gear shift lever latch was disconnected from the bottom of the gear shifter , I have placed this back into position on the shifter, and hooked it to the gear shift lever latch rod, acoording to the drawings I have everything in its place .BUT!!!! WHAT DOES THIS DO ????, Reassembled and trans shifts nice in all gears, checked all ratios , can go into all gears forward and reverse . with out using little thumb lever on shifther , so WHATS WRONG !!!!!! thanks thanks thanks!!!
REM

Re: Trans operation help needed !!!!

Post by REM »

If you have the thumb lever you must have a 4 speed.
There is a small piece on the bottom of the lever that the thumb lever pulls up. It should be spring loaded so it goes back down when released. There is a small on this that hits the reverse fork not letting the shift lever move far enough to the right engage the fork. When you pull the thumb lever it raises the tab enough to clear the top of the fork allowing the shift lever to move right and engage the reverse fork. Then you can shift into reverse.
Hope this helps.
Richard
toolhawk1

Post by toolhawk1 »

so my lever does pull up on bracket when pressed so I will check to see if I can adjust it so it will not allow it to go into reverse unless lever is pressed , as of now it will go into reverse without doing anything , it moves freely without any binding and there are threads at the top of the rod , so mayb I can adjust it down , maybe it will be that simple (yeah right) Thanks for the imput
John - NNY

Post by John - NNY »

I seem to recall something in the service manual about the proper adjustment/setup of the reverse lockout.
John
NNY
toolhawk1

Post by toolhawk1 »

GOT IT !!!!! , fine tuned it today ,it was to high , finally got it , works awesome !!!! smooth into all gears , and lever pressed gets you into reverse , Thanks for the help , but what really helped was the pics I FOUND WHILE SEARCHING THE WEB !!!! They were from this site but I never new of all the pics , I just used the forums ,, THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!