Warford Install help

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis
Model Year: 1930

Warford Install help

Post by David R. »

OK, I think I will go ahead with Warford install in my AA project. I believe it’s a 28-29 style but I think I have the correct u-joints to make it work along with the splined rear bracket for cross member. I have all new bearings but will need to have a new counter shaft made. My next hurdle will be altering brake cross shaft to clear Warford.
Any one have any details on this? Does the cross shaft arch over or under? I have a spare donor AA shaft I can modify and a model A cross shaft with the hump but it’s obviously too short. What’s best path forward here?
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

Re: Warford Install help

Post by Bradshaw »

The picture below is of the 29 AA I have in the garage now.

I am uncertain of the frame number at this time so I am not sure if the 4 speed came in the truck later in 29 or was swapped in by a previous owner.

The curved brake shaft goes over the top of either the jack shaft or Warford input housing, or dual high input housing.

I installed a 28/29 style 3 speed Warford in the Early 30 AA truck that I have since sold.

I scavenged the same curved brake shaft from a 29 AA that had a dual high transmission.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=9358
Attachments
Go around brake shaft.jpg
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

Post by Bradshaw »

After searching online trying to find a photo of an original AA dual high unit with the curved brake shaft, I came across this photo from another forum.

Seems as though this was a doodlebug someone put together.

Looks like a different brake shaft used under the dual high, and mounted to the underside of the frame.
Attachments
Dual high with brake shaft under frame2.jpg
Dual high with brake shaft under frame.jpg
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

David R. wrote:
October 24th, 2023, 6:16 am
OK, I think I will go ahead with Warford install in my AA project. I believe it’s a 28-29 style but I think I have the correct u-joints to make it work along with the splined rear bracket for cross member. I have all new bearings but will need to have a new counter shaft made. My next hurdle will be altering brake cross shaft to clear Warford.
Any one have any details on this? Does the cross shaft arch over or under? I have a spare donor AA shaft I can modify and a model A cross shaft with the hump but it’s obviously too short. What’s best path forward here?
Attached is a photo showing the Warford 1930/1931 brake cross shaft. The drop is below the Warford.
Attachments
Service Brake Cross Shafts 1b.jpg
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

Thanks Neil. Exactly what I needed. Looks like I would need the dog leg lever for the one side if I did the bend like top shaft. I was thinking about making the offset with flat bar and building it like a crankshaft throw, but wouldn’t look original.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Here are some pictures I have saved from this site.
Attachments
shaft installedJPG.JPG
warford-shaft-2.jpg
MVC-018F.JPG