steering woes?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
kirk C,
Model Year: 1930

steering woes?

Post by kirk C, »

How do you make a AA steer good like its supposed to????
Is it the steering gear?
Or is it just dry of grease?
Or,,,, it it a combination of tire's, steering gear, and grease????
I know about A,s, and AA's,
So its gotta be one or the other????
Kirk
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: steering woes?

Post by Neil Wilson »

The A and AA has the same steering. There is a 7 tooth (28/29) and 2 tooth (29/31) design. Both styles can be rebuilt and there are people offering this service. The steering box should not have grease. It should use the same oil as the transmission and rear axle. Grease may have been used to cover up an oil leak.

Check out the Ford Service Bulletins for information on the steering.

The front end wheel alignment can also cause poor steering. Many times there is a problem with both the steering and front end alignment.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by kirk C, »

Hi Niel, I just saw your 30 AA and it looked good even before redo, but I saw that pic of ben's AA and i was saying wooooowww,
I for get too look that the 30 is yours and the 29 is Ben's,
thanks alot for sending me the pics ok,
kirk,
midnite2336

Post by midnite2336 »

You didn't say what the steering problem was. Does it just steer hard or what? Let us know and maybe it might be simple to fix.
kirk C,

Post by kirk C, »

Ohh , I have this uncle that has our redone 60A, leatherback, and it was never fixed on the steering and the steering is way off by about half a foot, so it steers hard an stiff,
everytime i tell him about it he donrt want to fix it or is like my dad was that dont bother me with stuff on my car now as he took it when my dad passed away in 2000,
so its never been fixed and and it has the wrong top material and the wrong upulstery in it,
but ohh well,,,, I cant do anything now as its his even though it used to be my dad's and he didnt do any thing with it either,
so i about give up on trying to get relatives to do things on older cars and ill do it myself this time on this express truck ill do things right and then theirll be no problem's, :) :) :)
kirk C,

Post by kirk C, »

It just steers stiff and i think its the steering gear thats never been replaced, the guy that redid it in about 83 never fixed it and my dad never said anything about it as he wasnt mech minded just fix things and ill pay you to do it so nothing ever got done,
Kirk,
kirk C,

model T woes,,,

Post by kirk C, »

I used to have this 26 T tudor that I traded for a Case 2670 tractor, I like the tractor alot better,
but the T wasnt done right either and the tranny wasnt done right either as the slow speed and the freewheel was way off and when Id take it out to drive it it wouldnt shift right,
when I trey to get it into neutral it wouldnt go in so i was kinda frustrated with it and i traded it for this Big tractor,
reverse would always howl and the brakes were not that good anyway as on all T,s
I mean driving this thing Id get confused and then when i bring it back id try to slow it down and the freewheel or neutral wouldnt go in, so Id stall it alot when id try to get it in the garage,
Kirk,