Water Pump Seating

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
legrandaa
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1930

Water Pump Seating

Post by legrandaa »

Hello to the group. I have a question regarding the seating of the water pump in the cylinder head. Does the water pump shaft physically touch the stop area in the head and if so, how much should it be built up if it's worn? I hope this makes sense to someone. :roll:
REM

Re: Water Pump Seating

Post by REM »

The end of the shaft does contact the spot in the head to limit the end play in the shaft.
There is a recomended clearance. I would guess 6-8 thou. or something like that. It would not be hard to find.
The venders all sell a stop colar that goes on the shaft behind the pulley and is locked to the shaft with set screws that sets the end play and does not require the shaft to contact the head. Most heads are deteriorated to the point that you can not get decent end play with out building up the spot in the head or using a longerr shaft. The stop colar is the simple way to solve the problem and cannot be seen when assembled.

Richard
steve s.
Body Type: BB204A
Model Year: 1932

Post by steve s. »

You really want almost no end play or your seals will tend to leak as the shaft moves back and forth. If you do have too much end play you can weld on the end of the pump shaft. Bolt the pump on - with the gasket in place- and check your end play. If the shaft binds, just grind off some of your weld until you get a minimal amount of play and a free turning shaft. I'm sure those collars work fine , but I know for sure that my weld will not loosen up, and I save a couple bucks. Steve
legrandaa
Body Type: 82B

Post by legrandaa »

Many thanks to all who replied to my query. I did not know about a sleeve for the end of the pump shaft and I never thought of welding it! Thanks again. I am looking for some 1930 Budd disc wheels, too. Mine are no good since they sat flat for too many years and rusted out.