28 Wheel studs

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
bert
Model Year: 1930

28 Wheel studs

Post by bert »

Neil, Thanks for clearing things up for me. This afternoon on Ford Barn there was a topic on the wheel studs and I mentioned that my early 28 had all right hand studs, all 4 wheels. I had thought that maybe someone in the past had swapped out a couple of other wheels. And you answered on theBuy and Sell to midnite2336 about the 28's. You've straightend me out.-Thanks a bunch.Its great that there is someone out there that knows their beans.----bert, fl.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: 28 Wheel studs

Post by Neil Wilson »

Yea Bert,
Due to the Ford recall in early '29, there are very few '28 AA's with the original Model A front spindles. This recall resulted in the conversion to right/left hand wheel bolts and nuts. This recall made the early 15/16" hex styles of right hand wheel nuts and the early 15/16" wrench wheel/crank close to non-existent. Attached is a picture showing the '28/'29 wheel nuts.
Attachments
Wheel Nuts 28-29 c.jpg
Wheel Nuts 28-29 c.jpg (95.52 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Hayslip »

If you own an early 1928 stake truck that was converted to the later lugs you still need the 15/16 starting handle to raise and lower the spare tire bracket since the nut that holds the bracket in place cannot be run off, or maybe I'm missing something.
Hayslip
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Ed,
You are correct on that point! I have not found anything in the Ford recall information which directed the dealers to convert the spare wheel carrier rear hinge and bolt. Ford did direct that the wheel wrench/crank was to be returned as part of the recall. What actually happened most likely varied from dealer to dealer.

Some dealers probably converted the rear hubs to have left hand wheel bolts on one side. Other dealers probably just provided all right hand acorn wheel nuts and eliminated the early style (15/16" hex).

For the original restorer, the challenge is to convert back to original and find the early wheel wrench/crank.
Regards, Neil Wilson