Newbie question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Tony G
Model Year: 1931

Newbie question

Post by Tony G »

Hi to all,
I'm new here as I just purchased an AA mechanical dump. A question that I have is under the hood I cant help but notice there are capped off water outlets with heater hose & bolts.Was a water type heater an option ? I see no provision for a core or holes through the firewall.Also there is a strange contraption under #1 sparkplug looks to be a sound device. Thats gotta be some aftermarket accessory right?
Thankyou,
Tony G
Old is good, New is bad
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Newbie question

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Tony,
Welcome to the forum. Ford did not offer any type of heater for the model A/AA. The "contraption under #1 sparkplug" is aftermarket. Note that the engine and all of its attachments are the same as the Model A. This will be a help in optaining parts and information. The 28/29 AA's used the A three speed transmission until late '29 when the four speed was introduced.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Model Year: 1931

Re: Newbie question

Post by Tony G »

I got holes in my firewall that indicate to me that heater hoses went through them.Combining that plus the blocked off nipples on the water outlets somebody must have put a hot water heating device in it in the past.I took off the spark plug whistle and a horn device that someone had installed onto the vacum fitting that runs the wiper motor.This guy must have loved turning heads when motoring down the street.I tried the spark plug whistle contraption on shop air. Sounds like a steam whistle.I think its neat memorabilia from the old days but I dont figure to put it back.
Old is good, New is bad