1942 Clutch and progress report

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
John - NNY
Model Year: 1930

1942 Clutch and progress report

Post by John - NNY »

I pulled the engine and transmission out of my 1930 AA, 157" wheelbase, truck. The clutch is date stamped 1942. It is still in fairly good condition, not worn paper thin. I guess that the truck was used through WW2 and didn't see much use after that. Or, it could have been an old disk that had been sitting on a shelf for years. I haven't disassembled the transmission yet to see how well the gears are. The engine turns over easily. The cylinders look great with no significant rust or wear. Valves are very rusty.

I had my generator and starter rebuilt already. These are the first completed parts in my restoration. I will have to wait until spring for more parts to be done. My shop is unheated so my sandblaster freezes up and I can't spraypaint. I still have plenty of teardown to do.

John
NNY
Tony G
Model Year: 1931

Re: 1942 Clutch and progress report

Post by Tony G »

Hi John,
I'm new to this great website. It looks like you and I are in the same process at the same time. I just started working on my AA dump.I'm freezing too in my garage but have an old woodstove going.I just started disassembly on the motor . It was bound up due to rust in 2 cylinders from a apparently blown head gskt.I got a long way to go before this drives out.Howz yours looking?
TonyG.
Old is good, New is bad
E.Moore

Clutch Diameter

Post by E.Moore »

What diameter is the clutch disc that you removed from your 1930AA?
John - NNY

Re: 1942 Clutch and progress report

Post by John - NNY »

Sorry for the delay. My vehicles are stored in a werehouse. It took me a while to get there and measure them. I have a 1930 AA 157" that I am begining to rebuild and a 1930-ish parts truck. Both have four speed transmissions and 10" pressure plates. The parts truck had a 9" spring-center clutch disk. It is clearly undersized. The 157" truck has a 9.75" solid-center clutch disk. I plan on rebuilding this disk and use the original pressure plate. No fancy-pants modern V8 clutch for me. I also like the solid center clutch disks on these high torque applications. I have had springs break and problems with shuttering/ wheel hop. Im not saying that a 40 horse engine is going to cause wheel hop on a duelie rear axle. But the high torque spikes can lead to premature dammage or broken driveline parts.
John
NNY