Brake return springs

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Robert Gray
Model Year: 1930

Brake return springs

Post by Robert Gray »

I have a 31 AA. Where do the brake return springs go? The books show them attaching to the rear springs but doesnt look like thats the way on mine. On mine looks like they were attached to the frame forward of where the short and long forward rod attach to each other.
Also I have an after market accessory that a friend gave me that is supposed to hook around the brake pedal and has a spring to the front motor mount to return the pedal....doesnt seem to fit like it should ...binds up with the clutch lever. Is it an A access ? Is there something similar for AA or do I make one?

thanks for your help and patience
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: Brake return springs

Post by Neil Wilson »

For 1930/1931 AA's the rear service brake rod return springs are attached to the rear radius rods along with the emergency brake rod return springs. This is the same setup as the Model A.

The 1928/1929 AA's had the a two rod setup for the rear service brake.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Robert Gray

Re: Brake return springs

Post by Robert Gray »

Neil Wilson wrote:For 1930/1931 AA's the rear service brake rod return springs are attached to the rear radius rods along with the emergency brake rod return springs. This is the same setup as the Model A.

The 1928/1929 AA's had the a two rod setup for the rear service brake.
My confusion came from the picture on page 464 fig. 926 of Ford Service Bulletin...but I got it now ...thanks