I need help with 29AA

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
jsfocke
Model Year: 1930

I need help with 29AA

Post by jsfocke »

My family has recently acquired the 1929 model AA stakebed truck that my great grandfather used in his business many years ago. But, it needs an expensive restoration.

There is someone in this area that has all the parts I will need but they are for a 1930 AA. They look the same to me but this is my first endeavor into the AA world and I am no expert.

Will the parts from a 1929 interchange with a 1930?
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Re: I need help with 29AA

Post by Chris Haynes »

jsfocke wrote:My family has recently acquired the 1929 model AA stakebed truck that my great grandfather used in his business many years ago. But, it needs an expensive restoration.

There is someone in this area that has all the parts I will need but they are for a 1930 AA. They look the same to me but this is my first endeavor into the AA world and I am no expert.

Will the parts from a 1929 interchange with a 1930?

That all depends on if it is a early or late 1930. Does the sheetmetal look like the '29?
jsfocke

Post by jsfocke »

He doesn't know for sure. He thinks it must be an early 30. He said that the motor is actually a late 29 motor and he doesn't think it was ever replaced.

This is the best I could do for a photo. I had to take a picture of the ad. He is going to try to email a photo later.

Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

That is the late '30/ 1931 body style.
What kind of parts are you looking at?
jsfocke

Post by jsfocke »

We need most of the body parts or patch panels to repair ours. And probably a bunch of interior parts. The underbody is still pretty good. It has been in storage for many many years.
REM

Post by REM »

If that is the correct picture for the truck you have it is as said a mid 30 thru 31 and all of the cab parts and many of the drive train and suspension parts are different from those of a 1929. Engines would be interchangeable between both but most other parts would not.
You will find patch panels and most body parts readily available new through many of the vendors.

Richard
jsfocke

Post by jsfocke »

OK then.

Thanks for your information. I will pass on this one. I will have to keep an eye out for a 29.

I'll be visiting here when I need more info or ideas.

BTW, any idea of vendors in the Cincinnati area that would sell the parts I'd need? The place we used to use for our model A closed this past years.
REM

Post by REM »

I'm not sure I follow all of this exactly.
The first thing to do is be sure which cab style you are working with. If the truck is as the one in the picture it is a 30/31 and the parts you have available will be correct for it.
Either cab style would be easy to get parts for. The only thing I can think of that would be a big difference in restoring the two would be the lack of availability of good doors for the 28/29 style cabs. If you have or aquire an early style cab be sure you get good doors with it.

Below is a picture of an early style cab. Compare it to the one above. The later ones have a rounded cab back and lower roof profile.
Also be aware that the truck cabs are the same as the ones used on pickups.

Richard

jsfocke

Post by jsfocke »

REM,

Sorry for any confusion. I have a 29. The picture I posted was for a 30 that a person is selling. With it are a bunch of parts he bought to repair it. They happen to be most of the same parts that I need for mine. I was hoping that if I bought the 30 he had I would get all the parts that go with it to fix mine and I would have a leftover 30 to sell.

Jamey
REM

Post by REM »

I guess the confusion is all on my part. I read back throught the posts and it all makes sense.

Most of the parts are not too hard to find. By the time you get done you will probably have accumulated more than you need. There are a lot of people on here that have extra parts piled up from past projects and it sure doesn't hurt to post in the classifieds here what you are needing.

Richard
jsfocke

Post by jsfocke »

Once we get into the process of restoring it I will get a list of items that we need and post something on the "Buy and Sell" section here.

Thanks again to everyone that helped me figure this out.

I'm sure I'll learn alot just by reading a bunch of the posts here on the forums.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Here is a good spot to find parts.
http://www.fordbarn.com/modaswap/
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

When you are shopping for cab parts, it is best to reference that the parts are for a '28/'29 closed cab pickup (cab body number 82-A). Almost everyone dealing with A's knows what this is. If you simply ask for AA truck cab parts, many A'ers don't know that this is the same as the A cabs.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by jsfocke »

That's some good info. I was looking at fordbarn and there is a bunch of stuff there.

I am actually going to post of picture of our truck here in the next couple days just to confirm that it is the year we think it is. The only thing I have to go on (for the year) is that my father told me taht it is a 29. I wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't a 29 afterall.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The first picture is of a early '30 AA. Note that the wheels are five spoke which are correct for '30.

The second picture is a '29 AA Stake truck. Note that the wheels are six spoke which is correct for '29. Both cabs are the 82-A closed cab used in '28 through about May/June of '30.
Attachments
x30 Platform 54544.jpg
x30 Platform 54544.jpg (97.27 KiB) Viewed 6463 times
x29 Stake 52581.jpg
x29 Stake 52581.jpg (51.5 KiB) Viewed 6465 times
Regards, Neil Wilson