Installing engine and trans

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Modelajon
Model Year: 1930

Installing engine and trans

Post by Modelajon »

Hi, new here with the aa. Working on fellow club members truck. He disassembled it eight years ago. Now trying to put back together. How hard is it to stuff the engine and tranny back into it? Having a tough time alingning the trans to the jackshaft.. This is still bolted solidly to the truck. Should I loosen it some, for flexiblity? Thanks a bunch. MJ
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: Installing engine and trans

Post by Neil Wilson »

I assume that there is a u-joint bolted to a 3-speed transmission or a male gear bolted to a 4-speed transmission. Getting the u-joint or male gear connected to the coupling shaft is about the same as getting an engine with transmission installed onto a model A drive shaft (not easy). I would jack up one rear wheel so I could turn the drive shaft slightly for gear allignment.

Maybe others have some good ideas.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Modelajon »

Well we got it in okay. Had alittle problem, didn't see the spring inside of the cup gear for lack of a better or right name. Once we got that started, and the trans gears back in neutral. It went just fine. I put the retainer with the grease fitting, pointed down, is this correct? Thanks again.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

yes its supposed to be pointed down.

now that area is supposed to be filled with grease correct? On a 29 with the 3sp and dual high?

reason being is when i took the tranny off the dual high it was filled with oil... yet the ujoint is in mint shape.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Like the A, the u-joints should be greased. For '28/'29 AA's with a 3-speed there are two u-joints. For '29-'31 AA's with a stock coupling shaft, there is one u-joint plus the male/female gears at the front of the coupling shaft which are to be greased.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Modelajon »

Thanks again for the help on the install. Tonight we got it all put together enough so we could fire her or him as it may be, up. It cranked over about four times and sweet music was a making. Now our next problem seems to be someone might have installed a model a pedal shaft into the tranny. We put the pedals on, and the lock collar. This throws the pedal out of position. (clutch). There just isn't any way to install the lock collar and get it to mesh with the pedal when its in the correct position. The pedal shaft has the hole for the lock collar in line with the hole for the pin in the tranny. In Mac's book it looks like this hole should be off-set. Is this correct? If so, can the shaft be changed out without pulling the tranny?
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

Your problem happens often , I have run across it several times , You can use a cut off wheel & a punch . It isn't easy but if you take your time it can be done Bud Valerius
REM

Post by REM »

Can you just drill a new hole for the collar and get it in the right position. Should be easy to locate the correct position with the pedals and collar on the shaft and then just drill for the pin.
I used an A shaft on mine but redrilled the hole before I installed the shaft.
Richard
Modelajon

Post by Modelajon »

We sort of came to the same conclusion, about just redrilling it in the correct location. This would be temporary. He is trying to get it ready for some movie filming. Later on this fall he wants to redo the truck. It needs a fair amount of work. Thanks again for all the quick help. Jon