How to remove the dual high?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

How to remove the dual high?

Post by Stakebed »

Well just as the title says. I tried to remove it the other day but no luck. I could wiggle it forward about a 1/4" then it would get stuck. I have the engine and transmission out already. I took the torque tube clam shell off and the 2 larger bolts that bolt to the crossmember. i Then put a jack under the torque tube to see if i could get it to move. Well that just lifted he whole front of the truck!

So how do i remove the dual high?

heres some pics of what i have done.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: How to remove the dual high?

Post by Neil Wilson »

To remove the Dual High, the rear axle must be moved back so that the drive shaft pulls out of the u-joint and drops down a few inches. This is not an easy job since you need to disconnect the brake rods, remove the bottom half of the rear spring seat assemblies, jack up the frame high enough to lift the top half of the rear spring seat assemblies high enough to clear the rear axle, and then roll the rear axle back.

This allows the u-joint to be removed. It is bolted to the Dual High output shaft. Since the engin and transmission are out, you can then move the Dual High forward until it pulls out of the rear support.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Stakebed »

so as it is now (no engine or tranny) i still have to remove the rearend?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Yes, the rear end must be moved back to free the drive shaft from the u-joint for all AA's with a standard coupling shaft or the dual high. Removing the engine/transmission does not help because the u-joint at the drive shaft is bolted to the output shaft of the dual high or standard coupling shaft. This u-joint prevents the standard coupling shaft or dual high from moving forward and out of the rear support.

Normally the engine is not removed. Therefore, both the u-joint and the rear support must be removed from the back side of the #3 cross member. This allows the dual high to be moved back to release it from the u-joint at the transmission.

Hopefully you needed to remove the engine/transmission for some other reason!
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Stakebed »

Is this a good enough reason :) :lol:

lol

well thanks anyways! seems as i have to wait a bit then