1930 Bud Wheels

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RLaurin
Model Year: 1930

1930 Bud Wheels

Post by RLaurin »

I have been told by a few people that if I can not find bud split rim wheels to take newer 20 inch wheels and cut out the centers and weld in my centers from my bad bud rims. I have 6 1930 rims but are not usable because the split rings and outer parts of the rims are in such bad shape and rusted all the way through.
I defer to the experts. Is this ok to do and if so, what year, make, and size rim should I be looking for to fit the 600-20 tires for my Model AA dump truck. I want to make sure they fit so I can keep the duals on the back and clear the brake rods on the front.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: 1930 Bud Wheels

Post by Neil Wilson »

Later wheels (late 1933 to ???) have a larger bolt pattern and center hole. The rim on these wheels are the same size as the 1930 through 1933 wheels. So, it could be possible to unrivet the rims and use the centers from a 1930 AA wheel. The later wheels used a solid lock ring and I would believe that the split ring should not be used with these later rings.

The 1929 wheels are more available and have the same size rim as well as using the same split ring. The locaiton of the rivets which connect the rim and center are in the wrong place. So, the rivet holes on the rim would need to be welded close, the valve stem hole elongated and the 1930 center used.

This is my opinion and I have not done this. So, maybe others have some input on this?
Regards, Neil Wilson
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Post by Mike in Maine »

I have just seen Budd wheels listed on E-bay. I questioned the seller for a # on the inside of the rim. The seller only pictured one of the wheels. He replied with a #. C23597, date stamp '33.
Same part # as my '31's. Said there are seven for sale. I do not know condition of others. Added item # if you want to look. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 01028&rd=1

Mike
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I simply welded up the rust through holes in my wheels. Got them powdercoated, cad plated the snap rings and they are looking good.