AA Rear Shackle Removal

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Mark in Fairbanks Alaska

AA Rear Shackle Removal

Post by Mark in Fairbanks Alaska »

I have removed the rear end and the springs from my 30AA. I would like to remove the shackle but I cant get enough of a bite on the Inch & a Quarter bolt with the star lock to remove it.
Question I have is: Since it doesent appear too worn and any play, do I need to get it off and replace the bolt or bushing? Does it have a bushing?
I ordered new bushings all around. Another question is: Where the spring attaches to the axel, there is a housing with a pin that attaches directly to the spring. There is no nut but a slotted end. This appears to be worn and has alot of play in it. How do I remove this pin with the slotted head?
This chassis I am restoring is a 131 and a half. It appears it had been painted red. Was this either a fire truck or Railway Express agency chassis.
I aquired a 32BB truck chassis Saturday. Front & Rear end look similar to the 30-31AA. Transmission too. Although the springs in the rear are different, can it attach to an AA spring? Im likely going to part out this BB chassis.

Thankyou. Mark in Fairbanks Alaska
BigAl
Model Year: 1930

Post by BigAl »

8) I also just bought a 32 BB rolling chasis too, no engine! What I wanted off of it was the 4 good Bud rims, some 4 speed transmission parts, Maybe just maybe a high speed rear end and some great front axel parts. I noticed that the BB back of the frame ran parallel instead of how the AAs are. With the springs the way they are set up, I think this would make a nice trailer frame to tow behind my 1930 AA to haul old (hit or miss) engines. By my recent postings, I don't see much real interest here on this forum and not much exchange of ideas. :( I had thought there would be a wealth of knowledge out there with people who "had done it". I haven't started the AA project yet. I'm in the part collection mode now. But I've been learning about how As work by doing repairs on my 28 Fordor. I had hoped to get future answers to problems I know I will encounter with the AA.
PS. I'm just to new to help you on your shackle problem, but I know I will be in your place very soon. Take care, Alan..... :)
Mark in Fairbanks Alaska

Thanks

Post by Mark in Fairbanks Alaska »

Thanks Alan! I aquired another 29 AA truck two weeks ago. This makes 3 1929s I have! 1 1930 and 1 1931. 1 1932... Too many trucks!

Mark
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

AA Rear Springs

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Mark,
The rear spring upper seat assembly is attached to the rear spring with part AA-5799 rear spring seat pin. This is the pin with a slot. This pin is held in place by a lock pin (AA-5798) similar to the front spindle bolt locking pin. The lock pin has a nut which needs to be removed. The lock pin can then be driven out. The slotted AA-5799 rear spring seat pin can then be driven out.

Disassembly of old rusty parts sometimes require heat!

The AA-5776 rear spring shackle assembly has a bushing. The bolt is the same bolt as used to attach the rear spring to the bottom of the shackle. The bushing is the same as the bushing used in the rear springs. The AA-5776 rear spring shackle should swivel on the attaching bolt with little resistance and should not have any ware just like the bolts used to attach the rear springs.

The AA chassis was painted black as standard. Commercial concerns could order the chassis painted any color at extra cost. Ford did not sell a fire truck. So, a fire truck would have been assembled by a separate company using an AA chassis.

I don’t believe that the BB rear axle will attach to the tapered AA frame. The location of the rear springs on the BB axle is different. The gears are not interchangeable because the shaft of the pinion is larger. There may be other differences.

Any of you AA’ers are welcome to join the Ford Model AA Truck Club. Send me an e-mail and I will send you a membership form.
Regards, Neil Wilson